Pick your way through the latest update

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Ewan Lamont, May 21, 2020.

1. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    dwarf_pickaxe_scene.png The latest build includes extra items and fixes for the Dwarf Warband especially the bug that made initiative so low all enemies became invisible. The main new item is the Dwarven Pickaxe
    These well balanced and sturdily made tools work equally well whether digging into bedrock or hacking apart Goblins. Also, if equipped by a miner their knowledge subterranean tunnels allow them to infiltrate into battle.
    Various improvements and fixes are also in this release, including the improvements to the Miner Skill
    Spanish translations have also been updated – Thanks Erekband!
    Shangular and Double Misfire like this.
  2. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    I'm glad to see that this game continues to get updates. The dwarven pick is great for lore but I don't know about the practicality of using it. The Infiltration is good but given that this is a two-handed weapon, dwarves who are gunners can't take advantage of this to infiltrate into good sniping positions and those who try to maximize the dwarven armor defense can't use shields with this. Once you infiltrate with a 3/3 moving dwarf, you can't take advantage of having high initiative like the Skaven to go first in the 1st round. I guess it could be helpful for shard capture if you are lucky. I think this may make more sense being a backpack item instead of a weapon item, but that's just me.

Don't mean to be too critical and maybe someone smarter than me can figure out a good strategy with it. I love my dwarven warband but don't think I'll be using picks though.
    Jesse Shaffer likes this.
  3. Double Misfire Major

Message Count:
    Can't wait to try out pickaxes. Big thanks to whoever suggested them! :D

Also great to see dwarfs gain access to Magic Immunity, though the skill text totally describes them as halflings.

What are the other new dwarf items added?
  4. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    The image below is of a one-handed pickaxe. They’re a thing. Please give us that (with identical stats). The two-handed model is a nice gesture but not practical. Only being able to move a mere 6 extra spaces at the start of a match honestly doesn’t justify melee units abandoning their skull hammers/gromril axes and shields or ranged units abandoning their crossbows and guns.

Despite conferring infiltration, it’s practically a death sentence for melee units in warbands with high ratings. The 15 defense lost by not carrying a votive shield is the difference between life and death for them in many instances and the rating increase doesn’t help either. Since (leveled) melee clansmen shouldn’t use it and ranged clansmen can’t, it's only useful to the most fledgling of warbands and that's a pity. If it were altered so that we could choose which turn to infiltrate (like a spell), it’s value would skyrocket.

As it is, a one-handed version would be worthwhile. If you do make it, please don’t nerf its stats. I doubt anyone would seriously object to you charging fate for it either. Lastly, there is exactly one type of dwarven unit that could actually benefit from using the double-handed version if only he could equip it (i.e. slayers). Please give them access to it as well.

D9C1E03A-7086-4781-ACAB-8BF3A99FA3C3.jpeg
    studer1972 likes this.
  5. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    Speaking of slayers, their skills Berserker and Ferocious Charge are misnamed. Many of your players would doubtlessly be grateful if you would kindly swap the names of the aforementioned skills (to make them consistent with table top) and drastically cut the rating consequence of what you presently call Berserker (to compensate for its highly situational nature and its reduced usefulness on a low mobility unit with no armor). Thank you.

Troll Slayer Skills TT.jpg Troll Slayer Skills Mobile.jpg
    CzaRus and Double Misfire like this.
  6. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    I’m mostly writing to bump this thread because it needs more views but I’m also curious about what gear other dwarf players would like to see. As of now, my top two are:
    • One-handed pick axe
    • Miner’s helmet
  7. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    Yes, one handed pick-axe would make it practical as shooters and shield bears can then utilize them.

Miner's helmet is a good idea - are you thinking a helmet that also has the properties of a lantern?
    studer1972 likes this.
  8. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    Absolutely! Blindness is actually a reasonable and predictable outcome given negative initiative (especially -15). The "bug" mentioned in the original post by Mr. Lamont wasn't really a bug and was easily remedied by making better gear choices to start and then making a small early investment in initiative. Granted, leveling initiative early isn't very dwarf-like. Now, initiative 0 is actually something like +5 or more.

A problem created by gear, IMO, should be mitigated by other gear rather than a programmatic bandage or, as they say in the UK, "plaster." Mordheim is all about strategy and consequence and that fix robs us of both. A lantern-like miner's helmet that stacked with the effects of a regular lantern would solve the problem perfectly and would remain valuable through endgame.
    Blackstaff, Whiskeyjack and Shangular like this.
  9. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    I still want one of these either as a dwarf specific for-fate cosmetic or as a new helm equipable by almost everyone. Ideally it would have a horn shape similar to their faction icon but even the one below made out of reused in-game assets would be awesome

As an new equipable helm, there's a lot that could be done with it. Despite having 100 weapon skill and 100 defense, a little extra sturdiness would be very welcome among the 4000 and up crowd. It would also make a lot of sense as the WS counterpart of the thunder hat.

LightningHelm.jpg
  10. Blackstaff Corporal

Message Count:
    Excellent ideas, I completely agree. The helmet is a particularly clever idea.

One thing about pickaxes generally: I equip one fighter with the pickaxe, and tend to use the free move defensively, moving into cover or hiding. It's valuable to me in that sense, but why I really use the pickaxe is its lower warband rating impact as compared to the Ostlander great axe. It's still a good two handed weapon in general, and the fighter who has it has retained productivity into the 4000+ phase of the warband.
  11. Beanchilla Private

Message Count:
    Any word on the multiplayer update for switch? Excited to jump in.
  12. Mork Private

Message Count:
    Hi,
    after installing the new update I noticed for the first time the setting menu icon in the upper left corner of the game screen.
    Is there any possibilitiy to hide this icon?
    Maybe it was only placed there for testing reasons of the developers and someone forgot to hide it again for the rolled out version.
    Many regards,
    Mork
  13. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
  14. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:

Would you be able to send a screenshot?
  15. Mork Private

Message Count:
    Oh, don't you see it? Going for a new mission it just appears after the mission-description vanishes and the fighting begins.
    So it´s to see all the time during you are exploring the ruins of Mordheim.
  16. Mork Private

Message Count:
    Double-Error detected: Sometimes it happens that a new equipped weapon or armour is not shown on the concerned warrior in the camp. In that case you have to close the game completely and reload it. Don't doing that and going for battle anyway following happened to me: The elven-bow of my marksman wasn't displayed but he was able to aim a opponent. But when I wanted to shoot, the game freezed.
    Cyberaddict likes this.
  17. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    I think it's fine on the game screen. I always wanted to test some parameters, and it makes it much more easier (this is how I found out that Camera Drag at 0.08 is what works best for me on my device).
  18. Mork Private

Message Count:
    I agree that it's good for testing so the best would be a possibility to switch it on/off on the game screen. The icon is really big and doesn't fit the theme of the game screen.
    Cyberaddict likes this.