Please Explain the Store

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Munkie, May 26, 2017.

1. Munkie Private

Message Count:
    I hate to think this since I am enjoying the game, but can someone please explain the store and how this isn't a pay to win game? The middle and high end packs indicate that you can unlock legendary units and attract high end characters to your warband.

This sounds like if you pay enough, on top of the app price of 3.99 you can make a more powerful team.

No disrespect, I just want to understand.

Thanks!
  2. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    You can still build a powerful Warband without having to spend any money on the packs. There's nothing in place which boosts stats, or upgrades units. Fate can be used to purchase hired swords from the tavern some of which are knights, which are warriors that come already equipped with powerful armour and weaponry, all of which you can buy with gold crowns anyway if you chose to. They do come with additional stats, but they can also be obtained.

You can also use Fate to heal your units instantly (if they suffer from any type of injury, whether that be permanent or otherwise). It can also be used to revive dead units, for any of those players out there that grow particularly fond of someone in their Warband!

It's good to know your thoughts on the matter nevertheless! If theirs anything else I can clear up for you just let me know.
    Lem213 likes this.
  3. Lem213 Private

Message Count:
    Hey, I was wondering if there is going to be a way to win, or find fate points, without buying them. I will most certainly buy some when more races come out, but I was just thinking that it would be nice if you get them for ranking high on the leaderboard, or mabye they could be rare items you could find in the chests. Thanks!
    OverWatch likes this.
  4. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Thanks for the question, Lem! We have plans to implement a feature into the game which will allow players to earn a certain amount of Fate points from watching video ads.
    REkzkaRZ likes this.
  5. Munkie Private

Message Count:
    A couple of follow-ups if you do not mind.

Can I heal or revive a unit without fate?
    Is warband skill level taken into account when matching up two warbands.

I am sure it is obvious where I am going with these questions if the answer is no to either one than I do have an issue here. That being that any warband I am matched with that has spent money on fate has an advantage. And if the only way to heal/revive is via fate, than that is just not right. I would think you would allow healing with gold crowns earned in match.

Thanks again for your responses.
  6. etherkye Major

Message Count:

To be perfectly honest this annoys me a lot. If the app was free, with the expectation of free updates then it would be a valid consideration. But I paid money for this app, with the understanding from the app description that future warbands would cost to be able to unlock them.

Now I don't mind paying for the warbands, I did it with the Warhammer Quest app and it's not much different from buying a new set of miniatures.

I also don't mind freemium games, and play quite a few, but thats made clear upfront by the app being free.

But both just isn't on at all.

Fate gives a horribly unfair advantage if some players can just buy their way to getting knights and steam roller other players, and making someone who paid for an app then have to watch adverts as well just to catch up is taking the piss. Quite honestly I wouldn't have bought the app if I had known before hand.

If you want fate as a currency you need to have an ingame way for players to collect it. Either finding it in missions, completely special missions, or as part of some daily task.

I'm already on my 4th warband in less then 24 hours and just had to let a really good fighter go because he had 2 broken legs.

Please don't put adverts into the game. If you do I can guarantee not purchasing more warbands.
  7. Abides Private

Message Count:
    My wife was watching me play the game and asked how it was. I told her, good balance, minor pay to win element. I've not bought fate points(tempted! My frenzied 12 wound great sword user died)and won many rounds against teams with hired mercenaries.
    The warband evolution is true to Mordheim. I've dismissed more than one injured warrior and moved on to the tavern for a replacement. That's the game. Not ending up with an uber powerful group of eight unstoppable warriors.
    I dont think the option to buy fate points kills the game, it's well done and balanced. Sure, add the option to watch a video for points. I'll watch enough to keep a bank of revival fate on hand.

By Devlan's Mud!
  8. Munkie Private

Message Count:
    This absolutely kills my desire to play this game. To have to pay cash money to bring a character back is an utter load BS. On top of it, if there isn’t skill based match making then you will never have a chance against someone who dumped cash money on their warband.

To pay for the app and not have a chance to be competitive is a game killer for me.

I am very disappointed with this cashgrab, and I should have taken note of the other games developed by this developer and noted the type of apps they develop.
    REkzkaRZ likes this.
  9. Abides Private

Message Count:
    Munkie, it seems you'll be matched against bands with a similar rating. I don't know how you'd implement "skill based"?
  10. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:

Just a suggestion that was floating through my mind: what about earning a small amount of fate points after playing so-and-so many games? This would reward the veteran players for sticking with the game, and give some reason to start new warbands to play around with. I have no idea on the exact values, but to put up a thought experiment, what about earning 1 fate every 10 battles? I know some players are very averse to in-app ads, so this would give them an alternate path if they wanted to take it that route.

You are matched by warband rating, so that if a user picks up a talented hired sword, they will be matched against similarly-skilled opposing warriors from then on because the warband rating will have gone up accordingly. So far as I know, there's nothing unique about hired swords, nor leaders that can't be done manually with a fresh hire and some time (besides the leadership skills unique to whomever is your current leader).
  11. Munkie Private

Message Count:
    Sorry, used the wrong wording, but yes ... rating based match-up is what I am referring to.

Also, still a bit annoyed that I cannot rez a warband without spending cash. If I put time, effort, and gold into a character I should not have to pay in real money to rez or repair. That is a sticking point and as others have said, if the app was free than I would understand and most likely not play, but I already paid for the app and this is just smacks of a cash grab. Also, as mentioned prior, I would have happily supported the devs by buying new races etc., but this method of pulling additional support has left me not wanting to play.
  12. Abides Private

Message Count:
    To each their own. Fate points for healing/revival break the core game mechanic of evolving a warband.
    Given a choice, I'd rather see them eliminated for everyone than be more easily attainable.
    As it stands, having a paying player reviving or healing his warband has no effect on my personal enjoyment of playing my warband.
    I won't be matched against them as my rating will be lower.
    I get to play with risk management during battle, skill choice, and equipping stages.
    I believe the game is a richer experience with permanent injury and death of characters.
  13. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    While selfishly I'd like a way to stop my men from dieing, I would also prefer no resection over adverts/paid recursion.
  14. Abides Private

Message Count:
    Id have been tempted to heal "Lucky Bernd" here, as it is he's my favourite Captain. IMG_0733.PNG
    REkzkaRZ likes this.
  15. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    Shech,thats a lot of damge on one guy.
  16. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    As far as being able to obtain Fate I think you've all raised fair points. Like I mentioned earlier on in this thread I believe that our intentions are to add a system where you can watch ads in order to obtain fate but this isn't something that's currently implemented.

I'm glad that you're all openly reporting your concerns with the system. Feedback is important to us, and I'll be sure to raise all of your concerns to the rest of the team.

I'm currently collating all the feedback I've missed out on so that the team can get to grips with what the community have to say about the game so far, and will be back with some more concrete details as soon as possible.
  17. Abides Private

Message Count:
    To clarify, I'm not saying "remove fate for everyone it breaks the game", I'm saying keep it in. You need a revenue stream and a certain mindset of player will provide it to you. As it's implemented now with warband ratings taking those fate purchases into account, it doesn't negatively affect my gameplay.
    I will absolutely buy your warband expansion packs when they're released as I did with Rodeos Warhammer Quest.
    OverWatch likes this.
  18. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    I'm also more then happy to pay money for a good game. If you charge a reasonable price for each extra race (£3 maybe) I'd probably buy them all even if I didn't use them.

I'd also pay for campaign sets, or other useful DLC.

I also had Warhammer Quest, and I bought all the extra areas. I didn't buy the map tiles though as they wasn't worth money just to change the floor.

I just strongly disagree in adverts or paying for fate after we've already paid for the game, and the DLC.
  19. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    We appreciate the feedback nevertheless! And understand that there are some unanswered questions around how Fate is going to be obtainable to those that don't want to purchase it.

Like you have stated (and demonstrated) the game is still playable without the use of Fate. You may have several deaths/injuries a long the way but it is still possible for you to create a powerful Warband even if you aren't using fate. Granted though, being able to obtain hired swords does give you an advantage, but only up to a certain level. The Warbands which I'm up against at the moment consist of hired swords, but they have no chance against my warrior that has over 70 strength.
  20. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    We definitely appreciate you coming forward and sharing the concerns you have. Like I said earlier, this will all be passed on to the team so that we can discuss this internally and get back to you with a more concrete answer on what will be implemented.