Please Explain the Store

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Munkie, May 26, 2017.

1. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    I don't know if I've seen a hired sword or not yet.
  2. Jmstoic Private

Message Count:
    I am starting to really dislike the option of spending fate to heal/avoid death for my team members. It feels a bit like a money-grab when the random injury table kills an Out of Action character then the game asks if I want to spend money on reviving.

I've played games with random number generators determining loot drop and it always left a bad taste. This fate-for-healing feels real similar.

I'd pay good money to play this game, I'd spend more on substantive content like new maps, new gangs, and new troops, probably anywhere between 20-40 bucks. I completely understand the high-stakes of character death, it's quite refreshing really. It would be nice to have fate-healing removed from the game. Or the ability to choose greater reward missions, but the trade-off being injuries can not be healed by any means.

I suppose there's lots of options, but I think after paying a premium for a game, then further paying to avoid injuries that occur without mitigation within my control feels like a money grab.
  3. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:
    It seems pertinent to point out upfront that I'm not part of the dev team, just an enthusiastic player and forums mod, so my opinions are just that - opinions :)

A fair point, Jmstoic. It seems to me there's a certain subset of the playerbase who is opposed to fate coins, because it feels bad to be prompted if you're not the type of player who's inclined to make that purchase. I wonder if it might me made easier to have a checkbox in the options never to prompt to heal/revive while leaving the option in place for interested parties? There's also another subset of players that's rather smaller still who are opposed to any implementation of fate coins at all.

By all means, continue to convey concerns, critiques and comments for the dev team, but I'd also like to play devils advocate a little here and say that the current system is presently a way for you to spend more towards substantive content, because it's part of how the dev's wages are paid to continue work. The fact remains however that this method feels bad to you. In my mind, this is the aspect that needs to be worked on: I wonder if it's not so much the system in place that's a problem in and of itself, but that the system in place feels bad to some players.

Would there be a way that fate could be implemented that you'd approve of?
    * Daily quests to earn fate after X battles?
    * Very rare chance to drop fate as loot?
    * watch ads for fate?
    * Something else?
  4. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    What feels bad is that we paid for the app, and are expecting to pay for the DLC, but they still want a freemium style currency.

If the app was free and updates where going to be free then this would be a very valid way to raise income.

As I have already paid £4 for the app, and expect to pay £2-£5 per additional warband if I want to be able to play it, then they are taking money from me twice.

They need to pick between freemium or premium, but NOT both.
  5. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    If you're particularly fond of a member in your Warband you can choose to cure their injuries or revive them with Fate. The Hired swords all have obtainable equipment so in that aspect we are in no way stopping you from being able to build a "Hired sword" type unit on your own accord. If you want to play for free (like I am currently) it is challenging, but definitely possible to build a powerful Warband.

Updates are going to be free (just like they have been in the past) but in terms of DLC, this is something that you'll be required to pay for. From now until 2 years down the line we have lots of content planned, some of which will be free and available to everyone through free updates.

We do however understand your concerns and everything you've raised, and will be working on something to ensure that there's a way for players to get some fate for free in the future.
  6. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    You could also give them out as rewards for coming up with good ideas on the forum.

Just saying :p
  7. Jmstoic Private

Message Count:
    Sorry for the extreme delay, I appreciate you, Morjax, with your questions to further the discussion.

I concur with Etherky's summation. Freemium or content-IAP, not both.

However, for me it goes still deeper. Having what is essentially a gambling outcome (Out of Action leading to roll on a chart, one result being loss of character permanently) is being capitalized upon by offering to forego results by paying real money. This is gambling (and all of it's pulls on human psychology) and I don't want any part of it in my video games. I don't like the play against my psychology for money; I find it distasteful. Also some could argue, the odds of the roll being unpublished, and the roll being made by the programming of the game, means it could be rigged and no player could know.
    morjax likes this.
  8. Jmstoic Private

Message Count:
    On a side note. Can you spend fate on unlocking the new IAP, or is that direct credit card payments? It is unclear to me within the game. Have the devs made any announcements?
  9. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    I think that's IAP, so can't use fate to unlock
  10. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    If by new IAP you're referring to the upcoming DLC, yes you will be able to use your Fate coins to buy them! So if someone has brought a large amount of Fate and have enough left over they'll be able to spend their remainder on new DLC.

In regards to the conversation about earning Fate, I'll be putting forward some ideas to see what the team thinks. I think it'd be cool for players to be able to earn fate through the forums for being an active and helpful part of the community, and on our social media pages through weekly mini competitions.
  11. REkzkaRZ Private

Message Count:
    Give the poor chap some armor for Pete's sake!!!
    :)
    OverWatch likes this.