PvP Live Feedback

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Ewan Lamont, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    So we have been up an running for a day now with live PvP what does everyone think? Are there too many mismatches, are the rewards too much or too little, are there any connectivity issues or is it just all great?
    morjax likes this.
  2. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:
    I have a maxed out Skaven warband with a rating of over 8,100. On the bright side I get to see many more warbands then what I’m constantly being paired up with when playing AI. On the downside it’s not a fair fight and I often win within two or three turns.

maybe add a feature where the ratings are posted prior to match launch and require both players to accept?
  3. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    8100! That is some pretty dedicated playing. There are very few that powerful, which is why you will be getting limited match ups in the normal missions. It might be worth trying PvP with a lower ranked warband it will be more of a challenge. Anybody here come up against arielbelkins super rats? Was it an awsome spectacle to behold being taken apart in two turns and getting a high reward or should we just stop extreme match ups?
  4. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:
    Thank you. I’ve enjoyed the game very much, And really wanted to reach the top of the leaderboards. (Are there multiple servers and leaderboards for each platform?).

The point of my post though was not to brag but rather suggest a “warning” for potential mismatches. Not everyone bothers to hang around when their warband gets wiped out without being able to respond. Because of high initiative, maxed out Skaven can essentially go three times before the opposition will reach their 2nd turn. And with max movement they’ll cover 48 squares with 6 to even 8(!) attacks per rat. The only way to survive that is with lots of muscle.

Regarding your suggestion of playing with a different warband - I’d love to but since the leaderboards reflect total shards by warband rather then player account, all the grinding/climbing progress feels hollow to just abandon it and start from scratch. Took me 7 weeks to reach my current 3rd place and starting from scratch just isn’t appealing.
  5. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    G'day, arielbelkin's skav are scary, I mean real scary. I got chewed up in no time at all, on the positive side, I also scored a crap load of extra xp.....

The issue with the leaderboard is a good point. I believe Morjax has raised this before, that there really should be several metrics by which success can be measured. Overall Shard count for a dedicated warband is fair (I just broke 3000!!!!) but it isn't really a measure of warband power. A table showing the most powerful by warband rating would be handy.

And that's my two groats
    Watley
  6. Trapsinger Private

Message Count:
    Hi! Since the question was about mismatches originally, I'll post my 2 cents. I am not competitive on the leaderboards, so I play several different warbands to experience different play styles. So far I've only played "Revenge of the Hamburgers" in PvP, which is a reiklander group rated around 700 warband rating. I have been playing PvP since it went live, and I love the feature. It rarely takes me more than two tries in the matchmaking system to get a game, and I feel like 2 minutes is not an unreasonable time to wait. That said I think in the last four days I've only had one "fair" game. It seems like every game I play is either a relatively new warband and I walk over them, or I'm underdog by between +5 and +10 experience. So far the rewards have made those games worth playing anyway. My warband members rarely die outright in the underdog games, and winning a game where I don't get experience I at least get money more or less for free since the other warband doesn't seem to be able to kill my guys.

It would be more interesting from a game play perspective if more of my games were competitive, but I'm not sure there is much you can do about this and still keep matchmaking times down. I know most warbands don't linger in the mid range for rating, though so perhaps it's a non issue.
  7. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Bit of an aside here, but I've met you on the field, Revenge of the Hamburgers. Well met.
  8. Trapsinger Private

Message Count:
    I'm not super happy with my hamburgers, stylistically i'd rather be marienburgers.

I'm an old tabletop mordheim player. I played the marienburgers a bit there, but I feel like they don't work the way i'd like in this version of the game. And none of the other bands I played on the table are in yet for this version. So I hop around a lot. I bought the skaven and the marienburgers, but I always liked the injury system for mordheim, so I don't like paying to remove them, and I don't want to spend real money on a hired sword if they are going to die. So i really hope they make it possible to pay real money to unlock a hired sword type for gold forever. They mentioned something about that in the suggestions thread. and i think it would make the marienburgers more interesting since they tend to have more gold, which should translate into more hired swords.

not to say the marienburgers can't be competitive in this game right now, just that I'd like to mix melee and ranged in my band, and the marienburgers are really good at buying the armor, but with no strength skills it slows them down, and they are always behind on defense by 10 points, plus with no strength skills the melee guys should lean on initiative and be fast, but the armor slows them down so they aren't....which makes it feel like the only way to really be competitive with the other humans mercs is to build full "shooty" for the marienburgers which isn't my style.

I can't wait to see the other warbands get added to the game though. I really hope they keep it going long enough to get all the original mordheim bands and at least some from the "Annual." I'm especially excited to play the sisters of sigmar, and I think that the Orcs, Elves, and Dwarves from the annual will add a lot of variety to the tactics.

I also hope that adding female models for the sisters means occasional female models for the other humans also. And I hope that witch hunters have a way to specialize in crossbow pistols, and that the mutations for the possessed are really random and not chosen skills, and that the undead models can equip skeletons as pets like the skaven equip rats....but i'm pretty far off topic now...
    TheWizardWatley likes this.
  9. Captain Thorrek Private

Message Count:
    One thing I'd love to see, is the ability to challenge other players who might be on. This way, it'll open the way for Mordheim leagues in the app. I have to admit I got real excited at first, but my first PvP match ended in a Turn 1 disconnect. Granted it gave me the win because of the "forfeit", but I'm keeping to single-player for now... where I'm still having a blast!