PVP Threshhold Suggestion

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Shangular, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    I made this suggestion in a response on a different thread but putting here to it's not buried. My suggestion: For PVP queuing create a threshhold structure comprised of 2 threshold:

200 Rating and lower: Only war bands with a rating 200 of less will be matched up. This is designed for new players to learn PVP and the fundamentals.

200+: Any war band 201 or higher can match up. This will allow those loyal players who've stayed with you to be able to continue to use the war bands they've worked on over the past couple years. While it is true a 300 point war band may face a 5,000 point war band and get crushed, that's okay because it would encourage the 300 point war band to work to develop their rating and they get +10 underdog bonus for each warrior, using Verena blessing, that's 20 XP easy. They can also voluntarily withdraw too or may even win if they get a lucky placement with a treasure chest.

Now why I think you should implement this system:

1) The current system discourages players who love PVP from properly developing their war band. There are some combos that are fun but they bump the rating up too much so players won't use.

2) The current system for the same reason would then discourage purchases of hired swords for those who like to PVP. Sure I'd love to spend some fate and buy 3 more beast men for my Possessed or buy those 3 extra elves for another (lots of Fate) but that would bump up my rating too much so I can't find a PVP opponent. I don't think your intention was to have players manage their rating to the lowest possible just to get a PVP match right?

3) I understand you are implementing PVP for Switch. So people who have been building up their war bands there will then be able to find PVP opponents easily as well.

4) As a general rule from other mobile games, PVP is what encourage players to spend money. I would imagine more revenue would be good right?
  2. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    I’m afraid a new player will rage being matched up against an overly powerful Warband, compared to his. This may have just the opposite effect of what you’re looking for... sorry to disagree.

The inherent problem of veteran Warbands with very high rating is that they were never intended to survive to that level. Death and Injuries should have prevented such development. Then you retire the Warband and build a new. AFAIK, it works just like that in Blood Blowl and Mordheim (computer edition). Thing is, there is some cash invested in some Warbands (items and Hired Swords). If you could completely retire a Warband (at some point, there’s just no challenge anymore) and get some of these Fate Points back, I think it would solve some of the PvP problems as people would have incentives to start new Warbands (rating friendly for PvP), instead of grinding alone against AI with their precious investment.
  3. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    Don't agree with this as this mobile game differs greatly from the TT in that regards. The developers intentionally made it so you can heal injuries and revive the dead. Plus in mobile it's very easy to get 100 plus games vs TT where campaigns last about 15 - 20 games.

Retiring is not a good option to reward loyal, longstanding players. A better option would be to create an Active/Inactive Toggle so that people can adjust warband rating accordingly but that probably takes more programming work.

Also a player may initially rage at facing a high level warband at first, but when they realize that there really isn't a downside because they are tons of XP and no risk of dying, then they may try to farm high level warbands to get quick XP to build their warbands. Also they wouldn't be afraid to choose a skill that may inadvertently bump up their rating too much.
  4. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    Perhaps to modify the suggestion, in the Options --> PVP settings, add another toggle box below the Enable Private Games to Ignore Ratings.

So if a person doesn't care which rating opponent he'll face, they can always check this box. It acts like a universal private PVP code.
  5. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    Me and Skaven (Beta tester from Discord) have played against each other with password on, and it allowed to disregard rating completely, we were testing things together.
    My Middenheim ~ 3000 rating VS his Reikland with newly promoted lvl.1 cap. No thing like rating restriction there.
  6. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    But you both have to use the same passcode. What I've suggesting is another box that disregards the rating without having to use a passcode.
    Erkebrand likes this.
  7. Erkebrand Major

Message Count:
    This will make easier to play with higher ratings bands. Nice idea