Question About New War Bands

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Brascus, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Brascus Corporal

Message Count:
    I know that we'll be getting more war bands, and I realize that they'll be quite a ways off still, but I was wondering about them a little bit. In the original Mordheim TT game, each type seemed to have three different options. Mercs had Middenheim, Reikland, and Marienburg. Skaven had Skryre, Eshin, and Moulder. Are all of the war bands going to follow this pattern?

In addition to this I was wondering about the character models. The mercenaries look mostly like their just pallet swapped, but with factions like the skaven would that still work? Currently this is purely curiosity and speculation.
    Canticle Van Darq and JesterArke like this.
  2. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    We have been doing our best to try and get the different Warbands more distinguishable. At the moment our artist, Sam, is currently working on Marienburg and is dressing them accordingly so that they represent a more TT version (Skirts etc).

It's interesting that you've mentioned having different types, as that isn't something I've really thought of personally. I think once we get round to looking into Skaven and other Warbands in more detail this will be something that should be brought up... I do quite like the idea myself.
    JesterArke likes this.
  3. Trafalgar Law Private

Message Count:
    Oh yeah, skaven warbands must be in the game! And Chaos i would like, too, but please dont try to release the game too early.It has to be fully finished when its released.
  4. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Skaven and Cult of the possessed will be released as DLC for the game, as will the other Warbands which we plan on bringing to the game!

We want to make sure that the game is as ready as it possibly can be when we come to launch, the team has worked super hard on it so far.
  5. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:

Go, Sam, go!!

OverWatch: Regarding the possessed and skaven being DLC, I presume you'll have to buy the DLC to create a warband of that type, but you'll still be able to play against those warbands if others have made them? I think this was mentioned before, but will we get more warband slots, so we can try one of each warband type?
  6. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    I think if you owned a DLC, it only makes sense for you to get another slot. PLUS if any one ever owned all the DLC, I think it'd be pretty awesome if they had the ability to have a Warband from each faction. (This isn't concrete of course, I'm just talking from my own personal opinion)

It's great you guys are putting forward questions like this any way. Because when we do come round to looking deeper into the DLC side of things, these will be great topics to discuss.
  7. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:

I know for my part, it would be frustrating to have less slots than warbands. Also, slightly less frustrating yet not ridiculously so, It would be awesome to have more slots than warbands (instead of just equal). I think there's no reason to discourage trying multiple builds of the same warband, and if you have an equal number of save slots and warbands, you either can't have one of each warband, or you can't try multiple builds for the same race.

I don't know what limitations there are on save files, but I'd love to see 5-6, with a new slot opening up upon the purchase of new DLC. Granted, this would mean that you'd have about a dozen slots by the time you bought all the DLC, but shouldn't such a dedicated user be rewarded for their interest, and be allowed to try multiple warbands, or multiple flavors of the same warbands? Unless there's some crazy restrictions on having more file slots, it seems like you'd only be really limiting your most dedicated players, which seems counterproductive :)

That's my thoughts on the matter.
    OverWatch likes this.
  8. JesterArke Corporal

Message Count:
    Is it definite that Skaven will be DLC & not included as base..? I sort of expected that they would be initially included, since they were the included "enemy" faction in the original. Not sure what it is like elsewhere, but over here when people remember Mordheim a lot of us think Human Vs Skaven. I think this is very much due to the fact that games workshop stuff was a fair bit harder to come by back then so for the most part Skaven were almost the only non-humans anyone could ever field. I remember I used to have to mail order everything, including Mordheim.
    Titles based in & around the Warhammer Fantasy & 40K universes seem to have a penchant for releasing large (often VERY large) amounts of their content as paid DLC & I know it puts a lot of gamers off, especially older ones (like me). Hoping that doesn't happen too much here. Maybe the "original" warbands as part of the initial game or as upcoming unpaid DLC, and then the extended warbands as paid? That's just my 2 cents though... and we haven't 2 cent coins here for almost 25 years :p
  9. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    As of yet, the only Warbands which will be available upon release will be Three Mercenary Warbands (Marienburg, Middenheim and Reikland). Skaven will follow as paid DLC, as will all of the other Warbands we plan to include. We haven't touched DLC yet, and the majority of our time has been put into ensuring that the game will have enough content upon release, without the need for DLC right away. SO where there are a lack of different factions to choose from, you should find that the game is still as entertaining! And will get you excited for the upcoming factions that we plan to release.

For those that don't pay for DLC, I'm sure we'll have plenty of free updates released. So we'll make sure that the game is still as entertaining for those people! And we haven't particularly thought about releasing a Warband for free in the future, but who knows, that could be a possibility too.
  10. JesterArke Corporal

Message Count:
    I realise my last post probably sounded WAY more hostile towards DLC then I intended! Sorry about that!!
    Please don't get me wrong. Was not trying to say DLC (paid or otherwise) is a always bad thing. I've just noticed it often paints an unnecessarily bad image for a lot of gamers due to the number of games that have locked otherwise "important" elements behind pay walls. Lots of content to begin with as well as clear "this is what you get" type info is, in my opinion, the key.
    Would really just hate to see people not give the game a try because they are worried about content. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the progress & how other people have loaded our their warband rosters!
    Canticle Van Darq likes this.
  11. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Don't worry I didn't take it as being hostile in any way, I can fully understand the points that you put forward! I also hope that people don't get the impression that the game will have a lack of content due to DLC, because it most definitely wont. Thanks for giving your two cents though, I'm really looking forward to seeing the new factions... They'll be awesome!