Question Max Wounds

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Shangular, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Hello,

Today I faced a Reikland warband against my Undead. I killed 2 of the Reiklanders with the Doom spell (love that spell), but I noticed that the first one died with the spell causing 22 wounds and the second with the spell causing 19 wounds. How is that possible to have that many wounds? I thought the maximum number of wounds a Reiklander could have was 14? For example my captain started with 5 and then maximizing that skill you get 9 more for a total of 14. How would I get 22?

I'm playing on the mobile IOS version by the way. I'm sure there are differences between that and the PC version.

Thanks
  2. Jesse Shaffer Corporal

Message Count:
    Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think that damage delt is equal to damage received in the above case. The excess damage is just excess.
  3. Buggritt Major

Message Count:
    Jesse has the right of it. Max damage and Max wounds are unrelated.
    To answer the ‘how’ I have a vampire with 9 starting wounds. Plus 3x wounds increase at 4 = 21 wounds
  4. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Thanks! So are vampires already out? Or just not yet in the IOS version?
  5. Buggritt Major

Message Count:
    Woops! Not the beta thread......

You didn’t see anything.....
    Ewan Lamont likes this.
  6. CuliDuri Corporal

Message Count:
    I suspected it for a long time... I also fight against 20/21 wounds enemy that can normally have max 14. In a older version u can upgrade wounds by 2 to 4 per upgrade. Now it's 3 for every upg.
    I can say for sure that wounds show in a warrior stat are not the same when u are playing a battle. That happens to me. I have a 13 wounds warrior that has taken 16damages... And was still alive!
    I think that every character has more W during a fight (probability it's a permanent "bonus" that every warrior has). Hope I write right things
  7. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I noticed that too. It appears that the Wounds in the character's stats aren't a 1:1 correlation with the actual wounds they can receive before dying.
  8. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    Are starting wounds random?
    What about other stats?
    Does this mean that getting a worthwhile captain is just dumb luck?
    Is a weak starting stat something that can be caught up later, or are you forever behind?
    If so, is there a list of the range of what starting stats can be, so we can at least create and delete captains until we get a good one? It sounds like a boring few hours, but having a pointlessly weak start you can never catch up from sounds like a constant annoyance.

I hope starting stats are not random, or if they are, I hope that it's at least possible to catch up and close the gap completely. I hate randomness in character creation. Any time you succeed, it can be cheapened by the dumb luck factor, and any failure stings more because of it too.
  9. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Devs can correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I believe the stat ranges are:

Mercenaries Captains:
    Wounds: 5 - from my experience in trying to re-roll by creating new captains, this never changes
    WS/BS: 25 - 35
    Strength: 25 - 35
    Initiative: 25 - 35
    Leadership: 55- 65

Skaven Assassins:
    Wounds: 5
    WS/BS: 25 - 35
    Strength: 25 - 35
    Initiative: 35 - 45
    Leadership: 25 - 35

Necromancers: same as Merc Captains above

Vampires:
    Wounds: 7 - 10
    WS/BS: 35 - 45
    Strength: 35 - 45
    Initiative: 45 - 55
    Leadership: 70 - 80

Yes, when starting out, I'd recommend restarting your warband until getting a captain with at least WS/BS, Strength, and Initiative above 30. Strength being at least 30 is the most important so you can get the Fearsome trait. You can increase these stats as you level, but only a limited amount of times.Honestly, as long as you're above 30 in those stats, you can be competitive. The difference in gameplay between someone having for example 33 WS vs 35 WS is very small. The only stat were one point difference matters is Initiative.
  10. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    Well, that's disappointing, but thanks for the list. It's not so much about being 'competitive', just that I know it will annoy me having no way to fix it.
    The captain I've spent the most time on has 40 skill points and 172 on that medal below my shard count, which I guess is individual level and warband level, respectively?
    Are there any permanent differences between the human types, or are those just differences in starting skills?
  11. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    Doing some of my own testing, it seems that the human captains always get 63 leadership. I've only been testing with the Reikland* & Middenheim** humans, as I have not bought the Marienburg faction.
    Apparently, the game keeps deleted bands, at least for a while, so I've been naming them by the captain's variable stats, like 3535323563 (although it seems that last may not be variable after all) and keeping that download list as a table of results. That ws35 bs35 st32 in35 one is something I actually got, so if only missing 3 points of strength isn't a big deal, I guess I'll end up rebuilding with that.

*Reik is disturbingly close to 'reich'. :\
    **Middenheim either means dung-home or trash-home. Either way, it's a dump. :p
  12. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Lol, that's why Middenheimers like Mordheim, the city is dump so they feel right at home.

You're probably right about the leadership for mercs. That's one stat that I don't pay much attention to. Although for the Necromancer and Skaven, I know it is variable. What you have there is a good roll. My merc captain got lucky after a few rolls and was 35/35/35/34. Didn't want to waste too much time re-rolling as the probability of getting all 35's is very small.

Concerning your questions above, those are the differences in start stats, but will be permanent differences between the warbands because you can only upgrade each stat so many times.

Imo, Marienburg factions really isn't worth it for the app game as there advantage of having additional starting gold and increased changes to find rare items really doesn't make a difference when you play a bunch of games (any warband will achieve the same eventually). So unless you like the skirts they wear, probably not worth it :)

If you go one man warband, Middenheimer works best because of the bonus strength and wounds skill increase starting out. If you plan going full warband, probably Reikland as it has the most flexibility.