Random Map

Azul

Private
Hi all, :)

Something I thought would add to replay ability,interest, fun and challenge would be having one map that is completely random every time. This would be challenging for those players who safely know every advantageous position/bottlenecks/places to avoid vs newer players or a.i. Maybe there could be a small increased XP reward for choosing this map due to being unpredictable?

It could keep you on you on edge in pve and pvp, even more so in this cold brutal city.

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
Hi all, :)

Something I thought would add to replay ability,interest, fun and challenge would be having one map that is completely random every time. This would be challenging for those players who safely know every advantageous position/bottlenecks/places to avoid vs newer players or a.i. Maybe there could be a small increased XP reward for choosing this map due to being unpredictable?

It could keep you on you on edge in pve and pvp, even more so in this cold brutal city.

Just so I've got the picture, do you mean a map where the game mode is random? Or a map where the environment is completely random? Either way sounds quite interesting and definitely has replay ability. This isn't something we've considered at the moment as the game modes are totally random, and are different each time you visit the Town Cryer. But thanks for the suggestion!!

Azul

Private
I didn't know the game modes being random, that sounds very interesting. I meant maybe on just one pvp map, the buildings being placed randomly for pvp play may make things challenging, so neither player would have an advantage of map awareness. :)

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
I didn't know the game modes being random, that sounds very interesting. I meant maybe on just one pvp map, the buildings being placed randomly for pvp play may make things challenging, so neither player would have an advantage of map awareness. :)

Yes, the Town Cryer will give you different game modes! Not each time you visit, but after you've finished a battle for example the game modes will change next time you visit.

Zagoradin

Private
I have not played the app yet but a change of terrain can be fun to break up routine eg:

1) Fighting in the sewers
2) Fighting in a grand library
3) Fighting in the docks

I am sure both Vermintide and CotD provides many examples as well.

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
I have not played the app yet but a change of terrain can be fun to break up routine eg:

1) Fighting in the sewers
2) Fighting in a grand library
3) Fighting in the docks

I am sure both Vermintide and CotD provides many examples as well.
Although I haven't played much Vermintide, I've played enough to see where you're coming from. The sort of atmosphere which both games create is brilliant, so we'll see what we can do in terms of trying to replicate something along the lines of them!

Zagoradin

Private
I have Vermintide but as it is a FPS I have not really dive into it but as the content deals with a empire city under siege from skaven, the art direction and environment is also quite representative for Mordheim and would be a wealth of reference material. For Vermintide as they tend to focus on the character aesthetics via equipment and upgrades (Since everyone wants their toons to look cool-and good source for monetization) which overlap with Mordheim (Empire and Witch hunters) hence apart from M:CotD I would think Vermintide as a secondary reference material would make a lot of sense also.

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
I have Vermintide but as it is a FPS I have not really dive into it but as the content deals with a empire city under siege from skaven, the art direction and environment is also quite representative for Mordheim and would be a wealth of reference material. For Vermintide as they tend to focus on the character aesthetics via equipment and upgrades (Since everyone wants their toons to look cool-and good source for monetization) which overlap with Mordheim (Empire and Witch hunters) hence apart from M:CotD I would think Vermintide as a secondary reference material would make a lot of sense also.
We've gone for quite a different art-style I think. We took inspiration from the actual Mordheim Models themselves, here's a render which Sam (the artist) put together just to give you a bit of a better insight.
Mordheim-Render.png

Zagoradin

Private
I like it!

I think this isometric format works for mobile gaming without too much processing power needed from mobile devices while delivering a colourful and vivid experience.

Better this than clipping blocky laggy 3D renders :)

In terms of art direction I think I meant more on the type of environments and how they look ( destroyed, pillaged and in general state of depressing despair )

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
I like it!

I think this isometric format works for mobile gaming without too much processing power needed from mobile devices while delivering a colourful and vivid experience.

Better this than clipping blocky laggy 3D renders :)

In terms of art direction I think I meant more on the type of environments and how they look ( destroyed, pillaged and in general state of depressing despair )
Oh yes we definitely want to create that sort of atmosphere. We'll be working on more map variations fairly soon, as we've been discussing that in the office recently!

Ewan Lamont

Administrator
Staff member
It is a hotly debated topic internally. In the original design we had random terrain generation with different tables for each location but pre designed levels though harder to do will look much better. What ever happens so long as there is continued interest docks and catacombs are a question of when not if.

GoingChain

Private
I would consider randomized levels an almost must have (or the player's set up the terrain like in TT) just to keep matches fresh.

Perhaps you could do something like XCOM2 did, where maps are randomized "tiles"? That way it doesn't get stale from a gameplay perspective but the same assets are being reused just in different configurations.