Release the Beast!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Prabdeep Bazaz, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    Cult-of-the-Posessed---beastmen.png

The destruction of Mordheim brought many Beastmen into the ruined city to prey upon the survivors. Beastmen are now available as a hired sword for the Cult of the Possessed. These mutated monstrosities that infest the forests of the Empire are massive horned creatures with an inhuman resistance to pain.

This is the last big release for the chaos warband, and we are keen to hear what you think. Is dark pact characterful or frustrating? Have your say here - https://forums.legendary-games.com/index.php?threads/dark-pact-poll.6991/

This update is now available on the browser version of Mordheim (https://client.mordheim.legendary-games.com) and is currently rolling out to the app stores
    - Socials -
    Found a bug? Report it here - https://forms.gle/MXi6SAt1jfxuq9rQ6
    studer1972, morjax and Jesse Shaffer like this.
  2. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
  3. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:
    Excellent!!
    Prabdeep Bazaz likes this.
  4. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    Unfortunately, we have another halfling situation here. After playing off-and-on all day, I’ve seen exactly zero.
  5. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:

The team have just tested this and have managed to hire a Beastmen. It seems you may have been unlucky in trying to hire one.
    studer1972 likes this.
  6. Schmacko86 Private

Message Count:
    Do you need your warband to be a certain size before they appear? Right now I mainly just see the usual of warlocks and possessed with the occasional ogre. I don't really want to hire another brethern but if beastmen will only pop up in the 7 or 8 slot I will.
  7. studer1972 Corporal

Message Count:
    I have been able to hire 4 Beastmen today and haven't had trouble hiring halflings for my human warbands either. WS seems a tad low (35 for all 4, is it fixed?). The original TT game gave them a WS 4, which should be 35-45 in this version, right? They have 30 base Defense, which would be equivalent to a TT version Toughness of 5. Is this to compensate for their lack of armor? I like them so far, but they die easy, like ghouls, troll slayers, and ogres. Admittedly, I haven't played them enough to get many advances yet, so time will tell.
  8. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    I was referring to when halflings first came out; they were too rare and the devs had to increase their frequency.
    studer1972 likes this.
  9. Schmacko86 Private

Message Count:
    I've only been able to get a beastman to appear after hiring enough brethern to get offered 2 non-brethern hired swords at the same time. So, 6th slot and up. 500gp/3 fate coins is the cheapest I've seen. 20ish games at the 5th slot and never saw one, just possessed, warlocks, and pit fighters. 35ws and 6 wounds seems to be hardwired. They get 30 starting def as mentioned above and have full strength skills so can take resilient on top of that. Full combat and speed skills as well. Only special skills is they can buy two mutations, without having to deal with dark pact nonsense. They all seem to come with a beastman sword for whatever that's worth.

They can't wear armor or helms but can equip shields. They're definitely going to be better in the melee role than brethren, probably most direct competition for that spot would be a pit fighter. The pit fighter has the potential to wear heavy armor, and comes with set upgrades while still being level one. The beastman looks like it should higher top end stat potential since it doesn't have upgardes already filled.

I think it's a little dumb that I can't give them the santa claus thunderer cap when every other non helm wearing unit can spend a fate coins to get that, but brethren can't get it either... so oh well.

I think there's a missed opportunity strictly from a modeling perspective in making the "naked" brethern having hoods and robes vs having those as clothing items that can be removed. I was hoping to have a couple brethern topless, with robed feet (think witch Hunter zealots). If the model had chaos tattoos, scars, brands, it'd be kinda dope.
    studer1972 likes this.
  10. studer1972 Corporal

Message Count:
    Beastman Stats I have seen so far:
    W 6 M 4/4 A 1 WS 35 BS 27-31 S 25,25,25,32, Def 30, I 25,25,26,31 Ld 62,63,55,63
    BS doesn't matter since they have no missile weapon proficiencies
    No hats/helmets or body armor, can equip shields, like Schmacko said.
    In Warhammer and original TT Mordheim, beastmen could wear armor and helmets.
    I was able to get Beastmen after having a Magister and 3 Brethren. They are not terribly common, but don't look rare, just a case of a lot of possible Hired Swords (Warlock, Pit Fighter, Ogre, Possessed, Beastman)
    Based off TT Mordheim, I would have expected WS 35-45, S 25-35 and Def 15 with ability to wear armor. Have Schmako and I just been incredibly unfavored by the RNG for Beastman WS?
  11. Schmacko86 Private

Message Count:
    I mean I'm basing my observation of 35 WS of the 4 I've seen all having that same stat. That's a small sample size to be sure but I would've expected to see at least one 34 or 36 or something if it wasn't fixed.

Beastmen didn't get mutations in cult of possessed tabltop warbands either. That's not a complaint, just an observation.
    studer1972 likes this.
  12. Enajien Private

Message Count:
    Beastmen have a fixed 35 ws and 6 wounds. It's nice you don't have to get good rng for those stats.
    studer1972 likes this.
  13. studer1972 Corporal

Message Count:
    If it's going to be fixed, I would prefer the middle of the range over the bottom of it, ie Wounds 7 and WS 40
  14. Enajien Private

Message Count:
    I like to think of it as the top of the range for WS, 25-35. Then OVER max for wounds 3-5 and they get 6. :D
  15. studer1972 Corporal

Message Count:
    Beastmen (Gors) in Warhammer and Mordheim tabletop have WS4 and W2. One of the perks of GW style rules is that different species have different stats, unlike say HOTTs, where all spear units or all missile units are treated the same. WS 4 in TT translates to 35-45 for other units in Warband Skirmish, and W2 as W6-8 (see Vampires, for example).