Reward Ads and Purchase Hiredswords with Gold!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Prabdeep Bazaz, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    Hey guys, there’s a new update available for Mordheim filled with major improvements for the game, the two big stand out changes are viewing ‘Reward Ads’ to heal injuries and being able to purchase Hiredswords with gold.

There has been some strong community feedback about improving free to play features and we have been working with our volunteer beta test group on how to get these in the game without breaking the economy. The result is a ‘Reward Ads’ feature available in the camp screen and post-battle screen that will help players who have no fate available to heal their injured warband members. Reward Ads will only be able to heal injuries and not deaths.

We have also included a gold price for Hiredswords, so they will join in game for hard coin or a chance encounter (Fate). This means that players that are happy to grind away building up gold reserves over time will be able to access every character without spending a real penny.

Along with these new features, there are other improvements included into the game including Vampires getting access to magic if they find a necromantic tome and a fix for the pick-up issue on Wyrdstone Hunt missions.

Head over to the appstore right now to download the latest update http://onelink.to/75hkpy! Comment down below on your thoughts on the update, we are listening and making changes based on what you want.
    Amaan Shawkath likes this.
  2. CuliDuri Corporal

Message Count:
    Just want to say I love you! Greaaaat update!
    Ewan Lamont and Prabdeep Bazaz like this.
  3. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    The update also fixed it so it's possible to 'continue' when you have a solo 'band' member who is injured and thus needs to sit out a mission or two. This allows you to hire a temp at the tavern to run the missions necessary to fulfill the waiting period.
    The update wasn't yet listed as available when I checked the App Store, but deleting & re-downloading it worked fine.
  4. Cursedmouth Private

Message Count:
    Its riddiculus that i have to spend all fate i was saved for next faction to use healing by watching adds :/
  5. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    I get that it may be disappointing, but I think 'ridiculous' is hyperbolic, and as we all know, hyperbole will destroy the world!
    The devs aren't bots, they gotta eat too. Compared to a lot of free-to-play games, the monetezation model here is not exploitative. Maybe at some point we'll get a way to opt-in to watching the ads to earn Fate ahead of time.
    Amaan Shawkath likes this.
  6. Cursedmouth Private

Message Count:
    I dont have a problem with buying dlc but with forcing me to spend previously bought fate to use 'free' stuff.
  7. Mahuffma Private

Message Count:
    I greatly appreciate the update. I am very excited about the new features. My qualm seems to be the same as what Cursedmouth alluded to: I have purchased fate to buy the vampires, and I would like to save the rest for the witch hunters when they come out. I would also like to utilize the new "Reward Ads" and save my Fate to purchase the next warband without my current characters continuing to suffer.
    Cursedmouth likes this.
  8. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    There's already an option to buy access to new warband factions directly, without using the Fate point system, and that's more analogous to DLC.

If recovering from injury was meant to be 'free', the injury system wouldn't be in the game at all, as it would mean nothing. By default, crippling injuries would probably force a fighter to retire, so you'd have to dismiss them and train a new hire. In a world where supernatural stuff happens, Fate represents being healed by some spell or another, but the effect of the monetezation system is a shortcut on time.

The video watching is just a way to pay for that shortcut with time (ad revenue) rather than money.
    I doubt the ad revenue is anywhere near as valuable as the $0.26 you pay per Fate point. For example, many YouTube content creators have said that even a $1-per-month donation on Patreon is a far greater help than the 'revenue sharing' they get from one viewer's ad-views. Clearing injuries with ad videos is just a way for those who really can't afford Fate at all. It's a big discount, not the cost.

I think thay're on the good side of the microtransaction ledger. Being able to actively earn Fate would certainly help, but overall, it's more of a convenience thing to fix potentially crippling injuries rather than training a newly-hired replacement.
    Jesse Shaffer likes this.
  9. Jesse Shaffer Corporal

Message Count:
    Keovar is spot on. I once wrote some data mining tools for a mobile app startup that has since become extremely successful. The CEO proudly confided in me one night that he wasn’t in the gaming business, he was in the addiction business. Comparatively, these people are saints.
    Keovar likes this.
  10. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    Relatively recently, a game called "Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery" came out and got a huge backlash for its monetezation system. Your character only has a limited energy, which only recharges at a rate of 1 per 4 mins. That's pretty slow, since you can burn through your energy in under 4 mins of gameplay, but the predatory thing is how they set up the beginning of the game. Early scenes cost little if any energy, so when you first run into an empty energy bar, you're about 66% of the way through an encounter with animate vines, so the first time you're prompted to buy gems in, your character literally has vines wrapped around their neck. The character won't die regardless of what you do, but the timing of it seems targeted at making some kid panic and beg their parents to let them buy gems. I have still played the game, but it was at that point that I moved fairly into the 'never paying a cent' category. Gems and everything else in the game is earnable eventually, but that one trick just looked so bad that I can't support them.
    The pop up after this asks for 55 gems to get 30 energy, but of course the kid only has 10…
    [IMG]
  11. Flipz Private

Message Count:
    I was so excited about this update... until I read the small detail about recovery from ‘death’ not being included in the ‘watch ad’ options. This frustration boils from having bought a vampire for the heavy cost of 7 fate points, only for them to be killed in their 3rd fight...
  12. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks for the feedback guys we are watching this carefully. A very big part of the games revenue comes from people spending fate to heal so we are extremly nervous about making big changes.
  13. Wizard9er Corporal

Message Count:
    I like the realism, it takes guts to develop a game where injuries and death can be a permanent issue. Most people play games as a way to relax and unwind, so a game that regularly induces an adrenaline rush of hair pulling frustration can be a risky business plan.

Not only are the developers taking a real risk with realism, they are sticking to their guns about doing so. The free ads being available only when Fate is empty, is not only protecting the developers main source of income, but by doing so it also helps assure us as players that the game can continue to be developed.

Kudos Team!
    Ewan Lamont likes this.
  14. 10 Snake Gathering Private

Message Count:
    First I have to say that I applaud the gold cost for hired swords and he "adds to heal" I almost came back to this game with the "watch adds to heal" but the main problem with the game still remains. That problem is that you can not afford to replace your worst guy, should he die, after a game because of the way things cost more the more people you have. For example: my 490 rated warband averages 35 gold income per game. I loose my worst guy, a level 10 marksman, and the cost to replace him is 175 gold, give or take, then his armor runs 250+, eleven bow another 200, helm 100... In the table top game the cost of the troops and basic equipment is low enough that you can replace at least one warband member with an advert get sincle game's income. I don't know if more money is make on people watching adds or dropping cash directly for fate coins, buy I for now would watch adds to gain fate coins in advance and would watch 3+ adds to keep from loosing a warband member to death's cold touch. I would even support a higher % chance of death because as someone pointed out with the add to heal, the injuries that happen just get "added" away. But at least that would have me still playing the game and making you money by watching your advertiser's adds. Currently I would have to play at least 25 games to get close to back where I was, and that is if no one else gets killed in that time. And that is for my WORST guy. There is still some benefit to the injuries, in that you have to decide if keeping frenzy is worth having 1 eye and a limp because of the 1fate coin heals everything mechanic. I'll check back in a couple months to see if anything has remedied this issue.
  15. Wizard9er Corporal

Message Count:
    Another option upon death, would be the ability to keep the fallen warriors gear so that some one else can use it... I know that if I die in battle, I would not care if my comrades picked up my sword and started using it, or cleaned my armor off so the next guy wont die...

Only the dead know peace and have seen the end of war... except the undead... so defiantly DO NOT bury me with my awesome equipment just in case I get zombie'd... No sir, you keep that sword and keep fighting the good fight
  16. 10 Snake Gathering Private

Message Count:
    So, any further thought on adds to revive the dead? Or maybe watch 5 adds to get 1 fate coin a day. How many adds watched equal the money paid for a single fate coin? In healing, it seems to be 1 for 1, but I guess that could be a loss leader.
  17. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:
    @Keovar: Just to give you a sense of scale as a content creator, accounting for the fact that quite a few people run ad block, and that ads do not run on every play, video creators see $1 in ad revenue for every 750 views or so on YouTube (or about 1/8 of a cent per view, on average).
  18. 10 Snake Gathering Private

Message Count:
    Interesting. I guess I could be lured back to the game if they did something like making death curable with ad watching or give 1 fate a day or week. And maybe not let injuries be healed.