Scorched Earth

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Ewan Lamont, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    A scorched earth policy is a military strategy which involves destroying anything that might be useful to the enemy while advancing through or withdrawing from an area

We have noticed that a growing tactic is to blitz your terrain in captured territories and leave them empty. taking the resources and if you get attacked and lose the territory...hey who cares.

Ideally we are trying to set up a system where players take a harvester, defend it and slowly make the land more productive. Sooo any ideas out there how to improve this?

If you flatten the map you get 0 income so we were not expecting this to happen.

- make defences cheeper and easier to build? remove any resorce gain from using the harvester to destroy terrain.....
  2. I_Like_Cake Corporal

Message Count:
    I think the best way would be to add another incentive for holding onto a territory. You could maybe do this by having every territory give you a tiny amount of resources and maybe power no matter how blank the map is. Or you could have each territory in an area contribute to unit deployment times in that region like the command bunker does. You could also have each territory stack with they others in the same region so that if you hold all or most of them then you get a power bonus or resource bonus like plus 5% resources from that region.
  3. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    What would stop players leveling it and not building on it though...
  4. I_Like_Cake Corporal

Message Count:
    Maybe if in tangent with what i mentioned above you changed it so that territory's would over time take longer to harvest. This may encourage players to build more farms. You could also make it clearer that Marauders are far less likely to attack you if a territory is heavily fortified.

It may also work if you added some kind of weak turrets that didn't contribute toward unit cap so that players wouldn't have to use up a such a valuable resource early on. If you wanted to limit how many of these cheap turrets you could have then you could make it so that you can only have a couple per map or maybe have them slightly reduce how many resources that territory provides. This maybe far more trouble than its worth.

If they above options aren't viable for what ever reason then thee only other things i can think of would be to change how many resources farms generate and how much the defenses cost to build.
  5. Gavin Rummery
    Administrator

Message Count:
    We'll be rolling out a number of tweaks to the game balance today. The key one is that terrain no longer has ANY value when cleared by a Harvester, so this is no longer a way to gain resources and simply reduces the harvest rate of the map!

In addition, Bio Farms now vary in effectiveness from zone to zone: ones in PvP areas are worth 25 per day, whilst the ones built around the Bunker are a mere 5 per day.

Finally, defences are much cheaper to build than before.