skaven clan scree is a pos

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by NgNg, Dec 13, 2017.

1. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    Just wasted too much time "playing" a pvp vs skaven clan scree where they chose to sit in their deployment area till turn 9.
    F that. Not fun. Oh my strategy is to wait until the other player gets bored, then start playing. F you.
    Pvp wipe out needs turn limits. After the turn limit the player that moved the farthest wins.
    Jack hole sat in his deployment zone until I finally got there. What a waste of my time. They also took their sweet time pausing. Which is tactical if you are at least moving some of your units. However they chose to park everyone in a clump in their deployment zone.
    NOT FUN. gee I've got limited time to play a game do I want to play legendaries mordheim when a-holes can feel free to waste your time sitting in their deployment zone? Hell no
  2. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    G'day mate,

Sadly, it seems PvP has brought out the worst in players.

I'm avoiding it unless i can select an opponent, because I'm sick of wimps disconnecting when they are about to lose, or worse, taking up my offer of a game only to disconn first turn so they can clear the server for their for their friends.

I wonder, if one was to do a quick bit of stats, if there may be a particular area (read country) in the world from which these arseholes are coming. I have a theory.

Watters.
  3. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Really sorry to hear that NgNg. There may be something that we can do to restrict players from "Camping" in a specific area, especially the deployment area which is obviously quite problematic.

I'll be creating a thread tomorrow in response to all of this, in which I'll be addressing some of the points that have come up a lot over on the forums (including players quitting matches before they finish) and what we can do in order to stop this sort of thing from happening going forward.

We want to ensure that everyone has an all-around great experience when trying out PvP, so keep an eye out for the thread, and please do put your suggestions across to us.
  4. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    In many table top games, there are lines you must cross to get victory points. The issue with straight wipe out missions is there is no impetus forcing players to engage. Or time limit, which pushed me over the edge.
    TheWizardWatley likes this.
  5. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    I'm a bad camper, since I use a lot of ambush shooters these days. But I rarely stay in one spot for long. Camping can't be made illegal, but there has to be some way to prevent this kind of dodgy tactic.

I don't know how a lime limit would prevent this, the dodgy bugger would probably just stay put til time out.

Perhaps a greater incentive to engage, ie more shard, could help????

W
  6. 10 Snake Gathering Corporal

Message Count:
    I hate to say it, but in this game camping seems to be a valid tactic. You may not like having an opponent use it on you, but charging hell bent for leather into your forces may not be their idea of fun either. Frankly, having the opportunity to park a ranged warband at the top of a building blocking the ladders up and then picking off any idiot the opposing player makes visible to me sounds like a riot. But I can see how an opponent with an all hand-to-hand warband might find this frustrating...well, that's war for you. Maybe there needs to be some sort of "conciede the field" option that lets a warband in pvp leave the game with the losses they have and yet grants the remaining warband the xp for any kills and the ability to gather a % of the loot remaining on the map.

Personally as a non payer, I'm more concerned with getting matched up against a payer who is less effected by a player death than I am and is thus likely to be much more reckless with their warband. In the table top game you can voluntarily route once you have lost 2 models, however it is a lot easier to replace a model in the table top version. If I loose my worst guy, it is 150 to get a new guy who will suck compared to the rest of my warband and that isn't even counting gear....you can't make that much in 3 matches. In the table top game, even losing your best guy you can likely replace them easier...but you'd play more realistically/carefully with your rat ogre if you knew you couldn't just drop less fate than it cost to bring it back to life (since if you have a rat ogre you are obviously already dumping cash into the game). Fate resurrection changes how the game is played drastically from the table top game.

Additionally, all hired swords should be hireable with gold and not fate.
  7. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    In my case clan skree never left their deployment zone. They did not sneak and set up an ambush. When I got to where I could see them, turn 8, they still sat without moving. They did not move until I assumung it was a glitch opened myself up in turn 11. Not fun, not a valid tactic. We're playing a game, not actual life and death conflict. Also this was obviously a "payer" because they had a rat ogre and packmaster.
    TheWizardWatley likes this.
  8. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Irrelevant whether they pay or not. That was simply poor gamesmanship.
  9. 10 Snake Gathering Corporal

Message Count:
    Wait, so what do you mean...opened yourself up in turn 11? Did they come out to play after lulling you into their trap?
  10. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Mate, in a PvP context, or tabletop if we must draw the analogy, that is not a trap, it's bad gamesmanship. Do you understand that concept, or are you just trolling?

Playing stalling tactics in such a manner works against the spirit of the game, wastes time, and if this kind of action was played on the tabletop, I'd be holding the player down so NgNg could kick him in the face. There are many conventions against stalling tactics in many games, from basic decency to the sort of thing you'd see at a tournament where it's frankly illegal.

Rather than play devils advocate for your own little kicks, try to view this in a broader, somewhat more intelligent and less self indulgent context, and you may actually grow as a person.

The Wizard Watley
  11. 10 Snake Gathering Corporal

Message Count:
    Haters gunna hate. why is your fun of any greater value to the guy who used what was evidently an effective tactic? Once again, if the opponent facing you is an underdog, then a smart player would use unusual tactics. You are just expecting people to feed you their obviously lower ranked warband. This tactic is common in the table top. Make an enemy come to you, rather than rush into their awaiting swords. And your buddy NgNg saw the skaven on round 8, but did nothing to attack them until round 11...he got suckered and is now whinging over it. Give him some lotion and a hand and I'm sure he will get over it.
  12. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    You make a lot of assumptions. In tabletop, no idiot would just sit there in a random position, also, there is fog of war, you moron. Also, in tournaments, that tactic is widely banned, and you know it, mate. Don't be a twat for twats sake.
  13. Barry gardhouse Private

Message Count:
    Hi. Just my two cents worth. I have a shaven clan, 1449, struggling to get higher, as no more gear is available, so it's grinding levels. I don't play much pvp yet, but I have to move my guys out of sight in some games, because the ai can shoot me from three buildings away, thro stairs, so a minor bit of moving, camping to draw out the gunners sometimes apply. Sitting in spawn is bad gamesmanship tho.
    When I played 40k I had Elder, my mate had space Marines and refused to use terrain, so I had to make the smallest groups possible to minimise damage, and Sprint across till I could use my weapons, which was normally 3 turns.
    Unfortunately, some players just use the best way they can, or just hope you'll quit if you can't find them
    The ai captains for the undead seem to stay in spawn, so after killing the band you have to hunt him down. That's frustrating
  14. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Snipers are expected to sit in Cover, far away, and abuse the distance from enemy the best they can, with Ambush and regular attacks. It's a strategy, not bad gamesmanship. Skaven can deal with that with Infiltration, high Initiative, Hidden in the Shadows and the Delay tactic (and maybe Gutter Runner to cover more ground). If you have to move in the open, take Dodge, an Elven Cloak, Wounds Increase, Armour Training, Resilient, Step Aside and Quick Recovery. This should let you survive up to close combat. I hope this helps. :)
  15. Barry gardhouse Private

Message Count:
    I have the elven cloak on all characters, I ask just struggling to get my verminkin up to the same level as my 3 mages. When I started I didn't check their stats, so they aren't particularly good at melee, so atm I'm getting them pistols to hit harder.. And I keep forgetting to give my packmaster fear, because hopefully he'll end up as actually being useful instead of bait.
  16. FlaminGallahs2089 Major

Message Count:
    I apply a similar tactic as the undead sometimes (camping at spawn)
    As often it is the best covered area, and only against undead or middenheim can I feel safe across an open feild.

The reasoning for this happening could legit be the person had to go off and do something in real life and forgot to disconect,
    Or they had lower initiative and couldnt see you till round 11.

None the less although annoying it is a viable strat.

But further investigation would have to happen, as this could be a minor occurance, especially compared tp the disconnect ratio...

Upgrading your rating isnt always the best,
    Skaven are designed to stay a tad lower.
    As this is their niche, in later games it becomes much harder to use them (so it is better to be prepped for it)
    But when talking warband rating not rushing it, over time once you get powerful models small upgrades can lead to large warband rating increases (+5WS for my vamp atm is 150 addition, so you can imagine the more expensive ones)
    But if you want to rush there is certain skills to get to boost it up, from memory its masteries for most, but not sure about skaven.
    Hope that helped at least in the slightest.
  17. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Asking for clarification, there are only 2 PVP scenarios, unless the recent update changed that. But they're 1) Both warbands rush to the middle to capture the small circles or 2) Defend/Capture the big circle in the middle where one warband deploys inside that big circle. Was it the second scenario?

If so, and you're the warband that starts in the big circle, it is a valid tactic to hide there and let the opponent come to you. But in that scenario, the opposing warband is normally able to close the gap to that big circle by the 3rd or 4th round, depending on how much you sneak vs run.

Agree though that waiting the full 30 seconds to pass and the pass is poor sportsmanship and disrespectful. Honestly I'd be happy if they reduced the timer to 20 seconds (make people think quicker :) )
  18. Barry gardhouse Private

Message Count:
    On another note entirely. How does the xp Work.. Some games I get 1 per kill,v when my higher level can get 6, on the same game.
  19. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    It depends on the spread in Rating between the Attacker and Defender. A level 15 Archer isn't worth much rating, so if it deals the final blow to that Ogre with 3 Attacks, you can be sure he’ll get +6.
  20. Barry gardhouse Private

Message Count:
    Ah. Thank you. Time to rearrange whom I attack