Skaven! Our Cute, Fluffy Overlords!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Cassanova, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Cassanova Private

Message Count:
    Needless to say I am very excited to see how Legendary Games handles the Skaven and how they will differ from the very eshin themed warband from CotD. We have almost no information so I couldn't resist the temptation to do some theory crafting.

Now CotD did a very good job portraying the skaven as the existed on TT only missing out on little things like slings and tail fighting. But this sneakiness is only one aspect of what makes skaven so very likable and endearing. We unfortunately only got a taste of the insane, unreliable and often self harming contraptions of Clan skyre with the inclusion of the poisonwind Globadiers and none of the sickness and plague of Clan Pestilence. We have three human factions, here's hoping that we can get three very thematic and different skaven clans in while adding minimal amounts of assets that would increase costs. I will suggest possible warband leaders, a few heroes and one or two new pieces of gear for each of the clans but feel free to discuss your own ideas.

Eshin
    Clan Eshin is almost guaranteed to be included in the game and fits the sneaking backstabbing archtype that is oh so prevalent in skavendom while taking it to that next level. Theres not much to be said since a very good example of them exists, this thread is more of a petition or inspiration to push skaven farther then they ever have in mordhiem.

Pestilence
    Meanwhile if clan pestilence makes the cut we can get something skaven usually lack. Staying power. Racked with every manner of disease and infection the skaven of clan pestilence have become accustomed to pain and their deadened nerves can hardly tell a swordstroke apart from a newly bursting boil. This comes at a cost as their balance is inevitably thrown off and the agility skaven are so well known for is lost.

Warband leader: Plague Monk
    The obvious choice. The plague monk is the anchor of a Pestilence warband where the Assassin is the death blow in the Eshin. Plague heroes and henchmen with a Pestilence initiate perk have a 10 percent chance to recover a wound when within 4 squares of the plague monk.
    Able to equip: Censors, Two handed censors, swords, daggers, halberds ect.
    Starts with: Pestilence Initiate perk

Hero: Censor bearer
    A half mad plague monk, wielding one or more censors these skaven have breathed enough poison incense to have lost their innate sense of self preservation. Relying entirely on their scar toughened hide they will always be hit by a melee attack but start with an extra attack upon recruitment.
    Able to equip: Censors, Two handed Censors
    Starts with: Pestilence Initiate perk

Gear: Censors
    Flailed incense burners full of noxious fumes. Even the smallest exposure can make a man retch as sickness floods his throat. Beside acting as a flail the gas it emits has a chance to inflict a single wound on anyone in the same combat as it's bearer who does not have a Pestilence Initiate perk. (Even your unupgraded henchmen or heroes.)

Skrye

Now the fun stuff begins. My personal favorite, Skyre brings both the skavens mad genius and thier habit of killing their own troops. Clan Skyre uses warpstone for everything, Cannons, Guns, bullets, prosthetic limbs and even public transportation in Skavenblight, their interest in Mordhiem is obvious. Toting around some of the most advanced and unstable inventions in all of the old world.

Warband Leader: Warplock engineer
    Whether carrying around a warplock musket or diving in the thick of it electrified warpblade spear in one hand, pistol in the other. A more range oriented leader he embodies the tried and true skaven tradition of leading from the back and be it through some half thought out creation or actual magical potential Waplock engineers can learn to cast warplightning. The fact that it miscasts as often as it succeeds is of no consequence.
    Can equip: Sword, Spear, Mace, Warpblade spear, Warplock musket, Warplock pistol(s)

Hero: Poisonwind Globadier
    Much the same as in CotD.
    Can equip: Dagger, Sword, Spear, Mace,Warplock musket, Warplock pistol(s)

Hero: Jezzail
    Long ranged snipers that have chosen (or been forced to) dedicated their short lives to the art of marksratship. In pitched battles they are often paired with a lucky clanrat who's only job would be to hold up a heavy shield and miss the meatgrinder that no doubt awaited them, it's a heavily sought after position. Sadly due to your warbands limited size these jezzails hunt alone and if caught unawares have little hope in melee.
    Can equip: Jezzail, Warplock musket, Warplock pistol, Dagger

Gear: Warpblade Spear
    A spear whose blade is made of warpstone infused steel and electrified by warpstone batteries. On a successful hit has a chance to stun the target.

Gear: Jezzail
    A long barreled Warplock Musket with extended range and stopping power. This comes at the expense of reload cost and mobility.

That's all from me for now. I expect that none of this will make it in game but if I gave a dev even a single idea I'd call this a success, well that or if i got a invite to test the current build.
  2. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Wow, really cool stuff! One thing I'd say is, we won't be disclosing anything about the Skaven just yet. So by all means if any one else would like to post some more theories that'd be awesome, it was great reading through this.

We encourage the community to get involved as much as possible as we're really open to any ideas you guys have, so there's a chance some of this could be used, if of course the rest of the team like your ideas!

Did you manage to get setup with the beta okay?
    Lem213 likes this.
  3. Cassanova Private

Message Count:
    Yeah was super simple.
    Lem213 likes this.
  4. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Glad to hear!
  5. Lem213 Private

Message Count:
    Can't wait to bring Squeakers Sneaky Scavengers into the fray!
  6. Lem213 Private

Message Count:
    Are you guys going to put in the Skaven sling wall?
  7. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Skaven will more than likely be the next faction that we'll be working on after release, so we'll be taking your suggestions into consideration when the time comes!
    Lem213 likes this.
  8. Cassanova Private

Message Count:
    This makes me very happy indeed. Due to several reasons I was going to wait for skaven before buying the game and I'm glad to hear I won't have to wait long! Here's hoping that our adorably incompetent rats have as much customization and gear selection as the dirty man things.
    Lem213 likes this.
  9. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    I don't doubt they will!! Will keep you all updated ;)
  10. Lem213 Private

Message Count:
    It was always so much fun to just climb around th buildings, and throw knives and sling rocks at the enemy, and then have your assassin pop up from behind and finish them all off. Can not wait for them to come out, and I really hope we can get some Warplock Pistoles...
  11. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Well it's funny you should say that because Adam and Ewan where discussing Skaven in the office earlier, and Warplock Pistols where mentioned :D .
    Lem213 likes this.
  12. Lem213 Private

Message Count:

Yay! Now we can (dis)honorably duel the smelly man things!
    morjax likes this.