Skaven Packmaster.. Is there any point?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Deadhiel, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Deadhiel Corporal

Message Count:
    Like the title says.. is there a point to having the packmaster. From what I can see, they can easily be substituted by a normal verminkin with the packmaster equipment.

I don't have pet's equipped on most of my Skaven WB's and the Rat Ogre works fine with any Skaven model being close by. Seems pointless to use a HSword slot on the packmaster at all.

What am I missing?
  2. Cypher Corporal

Message Count:
    I use him to make 'rat walls' or stop 'kill steals' If you have Giant Rats with all your Skaven and also spam rats with the Horned Rat spell they tend to be in the worst place all the time, either running opposite of the objective or charging in to steal your XP. For the objectives where you need to stop the opponent from escaping or you are both racing to the other side of the map I like to have the Packmaster keep my rats where I want them, especially if you have upwards of 6 it can be a very effective screen for missile fire or speed bumps for enemies (especially the AI), this allows me to free up my other squishy, sneaky gits for use where needed. If you are not using Giant Rats don't waste the slot/Fate/Crowns. I wish there was something similar for the Zombies as their randomness plus slowness often make them frustrating editions.
    Deadhiel likes this.
  3. Deadhiel Corporal

Message Count:
    Thanks Cypher, that's pretty much what I thought. As much as I like the look of them, unless they provided some kind of boost to either summoned giant rats or the equiped ones then they just aren't worth it. I can easily outfit a vermnkin for the same functionality. The slot is better used for another kin or maybe a sorc. :)