Skaven vs Fear

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Rumplednutskin, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Rumplednutskin Private

Message Count:
    My Skaven die and die vs. fear causing armies. I could try to stock up on consumables but that is very expensive. Does anyone have advice on how to handle great work Skaven since there's so much of it and it so far seems to be almost an auto lose for skaven?
  2. Auretious Taak Corporal

Message Count:
    Keeping close to your leader with the lesser leadership based warriors is a good start. Remember which warriors have hardened or horrible scars injuries as they will just ignore he fear. Fearsome as a skill is incredibly valuable especially on the skaven.

Skaven are this odd little warband that take a lot of synergistic plays to make work. Dealing with heavy armour for example can be a real challenge until you have magic users casting sorcerers curse combined with perfect killer warriors who may or may not also be armed with maces to reduce the enemies defense massively. In terms of fear, you can get a lot of characters and giant rats onto the field relatively easily and weight of numbers can help off set the fear issue.

Finally, you have access to ranged spells and weapons. Fear means nothing toi these weapons. Use them,a nd abuse your higher then everyone else movement to not only strike from hiding but also to move and attack at range in fightingw ithdrawals from the chosen engagement points.

Against Undead players specifically, try and establish how many fear causing warriors they have and focus on the non-fear causing enemies attacks wise. This will go a long way to having to deal with massed fear causing enemies who you then can just massively gang up on to get the number of attacks through you need to to deal with them.

Wait till you get a rat with starting lo leaderhship the stupidity injury. You'll lose yourhead over the painfulness of it and fear issues will be forgotten fast! It is how it is and it's one of the balancingfactors of the skaven you just need to step back and play around with terrain, superior movement and massed alpha striking key targets. It'll work wodners. :)
  3. Deadhiel Corporal

Message Count:
    What rating level is your Warband and what models do you use? My Skaven right now are the best Warband I use (and the most fun). I have a heavy magic WB and with ranged spells (admittedly range is very low) can carve undead up. Giant rat summons are good fodder to distract the AI, high move and initiative allow you to strategically place models and fire off alpha strikes. I use my warriors to lock targets by moving into base to base contact.

Dual warp pistols are amazing (though I don't have any pistol using Skaven myself.

With gnawdoom or warpfire, vampires or heavy armour opponents are not too hard to kill (even if multiple spell casts are required)
  4. Shangular Corporal

Message Count:
    The best way for Skaven to get around fear is to get the fearsome skill. Make sure all you’re skaven have at least 30 Str otherwise don’t bother recruiting them. All my skaven have this except for the sorcerer and they kill Undead fairly easy. If you’re building up their BS to dual wield warp lock pistols have them equip water to. Makes it even easier to kill a vampire.