So much spam in the forum

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TheWizardWatley, Oct 15, 2017.

1. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    It's like there's some bloody Vikings singing in the corner!!!!!

How do we kill them?
  2. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:
    I've been deleting posts from and banning about a dozen spambots every second or third day for a couple weeks now. Here's my thoughts:

1) DO NOT engage with spam bots. Don't even reply to tell them they are trash and to take a hike. Any interaction whatsoever will likely be regarded as good attention from a spambot's perspective. DO NOT reply to spam threads. As a community, we've been doing a right great job of this.

2) Report spam as you find it. There should be a little report button at the bottom of each forums post. Please continue to report spam as you see it.

3) I will continue to apply the BanHammer(TM) directly to the forehead of the offending bots as I find them. Scorched earth, baby.

4) I believe the devs have something in the works to update the spam filter, which will hopefully give our poor overworked BanHammer a rest (but make no mistake, the BanHammer(TM) is always ready).

Part of operating a community on the internet is that it's simply a matter of time until the spambots start showing up.
  3. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Yes, unfortunately, the spambots have been strong these last couple of weeks. What has triggered this influx of spam we're unsure of, but what we're working on is different methods we can use to prevent this from happening. The ban hammer will prevail, and we will knock every last one of these spammers off the face of the forums! That's a promise.
  4. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Does the BanHammer have a name, you know, like Lucille?
    morjax and Overwatch like this.
  5. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Lucille is a pretty fitting name, to be honest... I'm not sure how Negan would feel about me stealing it though
  6. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    True, horribly, eyeball danglingly true.

Maybe we should have a poll?

Other suggestions include Maggie the BanHammer, Kylie, and That Gentle Caress

Lol, Watters
  7. Buggritt Major

Message Count:
    I've always liked 'Anaesthetic' for blunt instruments.
    TheWizardWatley likes this.
  8. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Anna Sthetic?
    Buggritt likes this.