Some questions for the devs?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by I_Like_Cake, Feb 24, 2014.

1. I_Like_Cake Corporal

Message Count:
    I have some questions below about how some of the games features work which would be a great asset for the wiki. I know your very busy preparing for the open beta and their is loads of other stuff to get on the wiki in the mean time so don't feel rushed to come up with a response. If anyone else happens to know these things then please share or add them your self to the wiki which I will link below.

How do damage, health and armour interact? I think it would be good if you added this to the tutorial as well because it wasn't very clear.

How do the chance based mechanics such as accuracy work? Do they use true random distribution or pseudo-random distribution. Despite the tank having an accuracy of only 53% it hardly ever misses for me.

How does the marauder A.I. work? I've written a short paragraph about this already but they are only my own observations.

How does it chose if you should be faced against marauders or players when attacking territory's?

I just noticed that if you let your turn time out then units automatically move to their closest cover. Was this feature added recently or have I come across a bug?

http://year0.wikia.com/wiki/Year_0_Wiki
    Jemma and Gareth like this.
  2. Gavin Rummery
    Administrator

Message Count:
    How do damage, health and armour interact? How do the chance based mechanics such as accuracy work?
    Effectively you get 1 "dice" for each damage and lose 1 for each armour point your opponent has. Then they get thrown, and the ones that score less than the accuracy hit and subtract 1 health each.

How does the marauder A.I. work?
    This would take some explaining, and we keep tweaking it to try and improve it. But they basically evaluate each nearby target and that decides their final reaction. They usually make an effort to get into cover if possible, and they avoid getting closer than they have to.

How does it chose if you should be faced against marauders or players when attacking territory's?
    It tries to match you with a suitable human opponent, but if they are all busy battling then you will face Marauders. And Marauders will occasionally invade territories they think are soft targets.

I just noticed that if you let your turn time out then units automatically move to their closest cover.
    It has always done this! Generally your units stay put, but if they are in the open they will retreat to cover.
    Jemma and Gareth like this.
  3. I_Like_Cake Corporal

Message Count:
    Thanks!! That's a great help
  4. I_Like_Cake Corporal

Message Count:
    I forgot to ask how cover works. Does it effectively reduce they attackers accuracy or does the game "roll the dice twice" once for accuracy and the second time for cover?
  5. Gavin Rummery
    Administrator

Message Count:
    It simply reduces the attacker's accuracy