Strategy : always delay, even with low Initiative

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Cyberaddict, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    For those who don't know, the Alpha Strike strategy goes like this :
    A Warband with high Initiative delays all actions. Then opposition acts in their normal phase, triggering Ambush if you have it. Then you get to attack twice with all your units before opponent can react (at the end of this turn + at the beginning of the next one).

One of the reason of my success in PVP is that I extensively abuse this strategy. It is beyond my understanding why, however, opponents don't play accordingly when they notice I'm using it. So, for the sake of having more challenging matchups, and elevating everyone else's level of play, I'll tell you what to do against an opponent like myself, even with your low Initiative Warbands :

Delay all your actions, too. Simple as that.

Doing so, you'll deny your fast opponent the opportunity to Ambush you : they'll get to act before you do, thus revealing their position and losing either Ambush or a full turn of attacks (because, maybe, they badly want that Ambush to trigger). Also, since you'll get to act last in the turn, you completely screw opponent's plan to attack twice in a row.

I rarely get a worthy opponent, but when I do, it's always because they systematically tap that pass/delay icon.
    Jesse Shaffer, Erkebrand and CzaRus like this.
  2. Erkebrand Major

Message Count:
    It's a nice idea to share this kind of knowledge, it will be useful for new players if they join the forum and read this, the ones who played a bit will know about this already, but maybe useful for others

I asked time ago on "the best way to have your say" thread to have a button to delay the entire turn, this could make matches much faster, with less battery drain on portable devices. My suggestion was to just press for 3 second the normal skip turn button to make it work.
    Cyberaddict likes this.
  3. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    I like that suggestion. Developpers? Are you listening? :)

Playing against a veteran that knows that counter strategy is quite long, as both players will constantly tap the skip icon to delay all of their 8 units.

BTW, I updated the Wiki with the counter strategy to the Alpha Strike. :)
    Erkebrand and CzaRus like this.
  4. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    Splendid, I was about to post this some time ago both here and on discord, but I guess I'm too lazy. Nice thing there is someone who can reliably do so in my stead... :)
    Erkebrand likes this.
  5. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    You’re welcome! :)
  6. Enajien Major

Message Count:
    Honestly... I wish we couldn't delay at all. It gives humans an unfair advantage vs AI AND it slows down PvP because everyone should just be delaying all the time. TT didn't have delay, neither should this.
    Cyberaddict likes this.
  7. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Thing is, 90% of the players in PvP don’t delay their actions, so PvP isn’t much longer because of this. The unfair advantage is on the side of the players that know better. It’s true that it isn’t very fair, because most opponents that start suffering from a second turn of attacks often disconnect. I have fun with that strategy, but I wouldn’t mind if it is removed, and everyone play with the same rules (Initiative order, period). This will greatly affect the survivability or our units, however. So more frequent Fate blessings in the Temple would be appreciated if that is to change.
  8. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    I don't feel bad about hurting the AI's feelings for having an advantage. Legendary theoretically could program the AI to make use of the delay function.

But in PVP it adds a strategic element which would otherwise make PVP boring. In TT, there are other strategic options available such as the intercept rule and everyone can utilize overwatch. Not the case here. There are situations where you don't want to delay.

If you want to speed up PVP, I'd prefer that the turn counter be reduced from 30 seconds to either 15 - 20 seconds (15 is my preference as using an item or spell resets the counter so 15 should be suffice) and that will greatly speed up PVP and force players to think quicker.
  9. Algirdas25 Major

Message Count:
    there were no overwatch in tt ,
  10. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    You're right, I was probably recalling that from playing Necromunda.
  11. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    This is why, when playing against the AI, I enjoy using shield bearing dwarves: zero need to turn-skip ever.