Stupid Warbands

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by 2mBrick, Apr 17, 2018.

1. 2mBrick Private

Message Count:
    Here are a few silly ideas for warbands that I wondered what people thought of. If you try them, please tell me how it goes (I'm sure it will be entertaining!)

One-Man Warband
    Probably works best with Middenheimers (the buffed Captain) and Marienburgers (fancier gear). Although there are certain pretty obvious disadvantages (no redundancy, could be easy to wipe out, will struggle with some of the objectives) having all your XP go to one model (are they called models in a phone game?) could be helpful.

Eight Warlocks
    From no redundancy to extreme redundancy. This would be a tricky one to recruit, but you would have good mobility (Flight of Zimmeran), decent ranged (Arrows, Flames) and even a little combat (Sword). However, you wouldn't have much in the way of defensibility, which could make things more difficult.

Shooting-Heavy Middenheimers
    All-shooting Reikland and Marienburg warbands make sense - Reiklanders have extra BS, and Marienburgers get better prices on the nicer ranged weapons. Middenheimers? Not so much. HOWEVER, if you aren't spending skill points on skills, you can rack up a high BS quite quickly. Not to mention the Elven bow is a weapon that works beautifully even without any shooting skills...

Eight Rat Ogres
    As with the Warlocks, this one would be a nightmare to recruit. Unlike Warlocks, however, Rat Ogres have stupidity. If you can do anything during one of your turns, you could manage quite a lot of damage. Notably, once you had your 8 you would never gain xp, so your power-level never goes up ... now there's a thought...

If you have any other stupid ideas for Warbands, leave them below.
  2. Shangular Private

Message Count:
    For PVP Shard:1, the one-man warband is probably the most competitive imo. For fun, I've tested this with a Reikland captain, high level, and he shreds almost every warband. I've faced warbands almost twice my rating and killed them easily. Every time I face a warband that have multiple people I'm thinking "probably easy win." The only challenging battles:

1) vs other one-man warbands that are of similar level
    2) vs high level Undead warbands with a Necromancer that can cast Doom. If you're not careful you can get one-shot by that spell.

I've tested many PVP battles and it seems like the only 2 scenarios are hold the big circle for 10 rounds or capture as many of the smaller circles within 8 rounds. Both are easily to win with a one-man warband.

Don't believe the other 3 warbands you have would be viable because they would PVP at Shard levels 2 - 4 where you'll face warbands with multiple high-level members. But hey could still be fun!
  3. 2mBrick Private

Message Count:

PvP is one thing, AI is another. I personally don't actually play PvP (for various reasons), but I'm not surprised the last 3 wouldn't work well (they are meant to be stupid, after all).

I'm surprised to hear the one-man actually works well. It always struck me a bit of a liability having a single point of failure, but if what you say is true I am definitely going to try it.
  4. nahar Private

Message Count:
    Battles against AI - Shard 0, usually I get 1-3 ber battle. I have very powerfull 8 person standard band (Reikland) - aprox 50 at the leaderboard but it's too boring play them against just few other bands (almost the same). And I ' ve started play John Wick. First I played only with dagger and pistol (to get an achievment, but smth is broken with that) now I have 62 lvl Gromil Armor, Comet Maul, Champion Helmet. Only other one-man could compete with John Wick. It's because my RT is about 400, but to get 62 lvl I obtained almost 2000 exp.
    In my opinion min number of members should be 3 - like in the table top version.
  5. edward Corporal

Message Count:
    Oh you are the john wick guy, I let you farm my naked reiklanders plenty of times to try and rng out some positive injuries lol.
    He is basically impossible to deal with haha.
  6. nahar Private

Message Count:
    No. There are two of us. I didnt play with you PvP - probably or we played once maybe two times. But there is other guy - The Real John Wick - with two pistols and 4/4 Fireball spell. I've fought him couple of times but always he won.
    My John Wick uses diffrent weapons - comet maul, two pistols, HLR and gromil axe.

Anyway I hope to play with you PvP maybe my other warbands: Eryk and Klaus or Altdorf Guards.
  7. edward Corporal

Message Count:
    I've seen both yours and his in PVP, both very strong!
    Must have taken a long time to farm all those levels wow.
  8. nahar Private

Message Count:
    Nope. It is verg fast to boost one person warband. I was myself suprised how fast. Beside John Wick I play Glencoe Guards - now about 45 at the table and nearly 4000 rating. It takes long. One guy at 50 lvl, 4 guys 38-40 level and rest about 20. Last time I lost one guy and now to farm new one I have to keep him away of combat (now he has 6 or smt).
  9. Shangular Private

Message Count:
    Hello, the Real John Wick is in my one-man warbands Reikland Mercenaries (I have a Reikland and Middenheim version, both are named Reikland Mercenaries). Originally the character's name was Man of Sheer F In Will, but since my younger daughter watches some of the games, I changed the name to be more appropriate (don't like to have explain "what does F In" mean? lol). When my Reikland warband's rating got over 550, it was harder to find opponents so I made the Middenheim one. Both have the same build (4/4 fireball, 4/4 flight). The Middenheim I've been using the axe and pistol because its more Middenheimy

No offense to anyone but I named mine the Real John Wick because I've faced several other John Wicks, everyone loves gun-fu I guess. There were multiple Reiklands, which I believe one is yours (one of them had the hammer you mentioned above, the other was using a sniper rifle and axe and the third was using an axe and pistol) , there's 2 other Middenheim John Wicks, one using a 2-handed axe and the other wearing wizard robes. Everyone of them a very worthy opponent.

Wanted to say good fight, on my matches against your John Wick and all the other John Wicks out there. It could have one either way and I just got lucky. I think I also may have fought your John Wick against my Skaven duo, also named Reikland Mercenaries (Ricky Bobby "Shake N Bake" and Cal Noughton Jr). Good fight there too!

Like Nahar mentions, its very quick to level up a single person warband. A quick trick is to try to find Undead AI opponents. Then kill just the zombies and let the necromancer keep reviving them. Easy way to level up.

One-manwarbands are also fun to play as against high level opponents, you really have to think strategically on positioning. There was one multiple-person warband opponent that was really good (Reikland Jaegers). It works great with Mercs and Skaven. I've given up on my one-man Necromancer warband. Just doesn't work
  10. nahar Private

Message Count:
    Hello there! Yes I remember two Skaven warband. Back to the topic I give John Wick pistol and HRL. And I cannot shoot pistol in HtH. It's pity I like pistol and rifle in HtH but without shooting It's worthless. At the start playing my John Wick I used only dagger or dagger and buckler. Then I added pistol. It was worked till I started to play against heavy armorded warband.

Do you have and wierd or stupid ideas concerning weapons and armor?
  11. 2mBrick Private

Message Count:

Anything with Throwing Knives. Or Short Bows. Those two are quite stupid.
  12. Shangular Private

Message Count:
    Getting back to the post topic, a couple of "stupid/fun" ideas for weapons and armor would be
    1) dual pistol and throwing knives. Coupled with the Ambush skill, you can get 7 shots off before the target can strike back, in theory. Could be fun.
    2) Also when I level up that sword spell to 4/4, I'm going to try equipping robes instead of gromil and do even more hit and run tactics. Problem with that sword spell is that you can't truly hide. Opponents will know exactly where you are.

Perhaps another stupid warband to try, if anyone has the time to build this up, is an 8 high level ghoul warband. With maxed out combat, strength and speed skills this could be fun to play. It will take forever to level up though.
  13. nahar Private

Message Count:
    Ad 1 Nope, Ambush gives you only one shoot per enemy. I mean if you have Throwing Knives you only throw one knife. And dual pistol probably doesnt work with ambush. I tried put dual pistol and HLR and in HtH John Wich was unable to shoot pistol.
  14. 2mBrick Private

Message Count:

8 Ghouls ... that's a lot of attacks. I can see how that would be fun :)