Suggestion: Lances for Freelancers!

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Trapsinger, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    We had a broader discussion about the balance of hired swords, and people generally don't like the freelancer, as the pit fighter is better in just about every way. I still thinking giving them shooting skills like a reiklander is an elegant solution, but maybe we could make him more appealing the way he is with a little stat boost or some exclusive items.

Much like the Ogre gets his own gear list, I was thinking it would be cool if Freelancers actually got the lances they are named after (and get in TableTop if you are using the optional rules for mounted combat). In this game I'm picturing a one handed weapon (cause lances and shields should be paired) that has reach like a spear (though maybe reach 3 with mastery) gives bonus strength on the charge (+5/+15 with mastery) and only if you use it without the reach, so right up next your opponent it would have max enemy defense like a club (as you whack them with the handle).

I also don't think it would hurt if freelancers had 5 extra strength and 5 extra wounds. That makes them a little better than the average human, but not as powerful as an Ogre.

Thoughts?
  2. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I like the idea of having weapons that are exclusive to hired swords to help them be more unique. A footman's lance could be an option. Concerning the extra strength and wounds, I think it would be a good idea to have them start with their strength or wounds already updated (like Middenheimers), although I wouldn't recommend them being able to go above a typical human when maxed out.

I think one of the key things that needs to happen for the freelancer is to have better starting skills. For example, the pit fighter is a bargain given that he is level 1 and has a bunch of skills already upgraded. The freelancer should have at least the following skills starting out:
    1) Armor Training (he wears heavy armor and doesn't know how to use it?) this should be a given
    2) Strength and Wounds as mentioned above
    3) Perhaps that one skill that allows you to wield 2 handed weapons w/o initiate penalty - forget the name atm

With the new experience structure implemented (it makes its harder to max level vs the old experience structure), starting out with additional skills is a good bonus, especially for hired swords which is why someone would pay fate for them.
  3. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    I wouldn't have suggested the strength and wounds bonus above human maximum, except that there is precedent now: The Fanatic skill gives 5 strength, allowing the "Flagellants" to go to 5 higher strength than any other human.

I figured a freelancer could be at least that strong.

I like all your thoughts on starting skills though.
  4. Jesse Shaffer Corporal

Message Count:
    Freelancers are definitely meh. I believe the thinking behind Freelancers not having more starting skills is that they come with full plate. That was sound enough when they were first released but the game has changed more than enough since then that it really is time for a rethink.

I don’t know about you two but the only time I ever get a Freelancer is after I’m about 80 matches or so in to a new warband and absolutely every Ogre and Pit Fighter I’ve seen have been complete trash. Then—suddenly—there he is! The first PIT FIGHTER with a base strength of 30 or better! Saints be praised! But just as I’m about to buy him, my phone dies. And what do I find once I’m finally able to restart the game? That he’s gone!!! Gone!!! And replaced with a FREELANCER?!?!?! [He has either one less wounds or a slightly lower WS but his base strength is still 30 or better so it this or nothing.] OH LAMENTABLE AND ACCURSED FATE!!!

In all seriousness though, both of you have great ideas. The devs really need to do something. Not that I necessarily want to see it, but even setting their initial stats close to perfect would make them considerably more useful in their present roll (if not somewhat more generic) as the hired sword we just settle for.