Suggestion: Level Limitation

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Shangular, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Hope everyone had a merry Christmas and time enjoy time-off during the holidays.

I was thinking that to make this game better in the long run, how about we set level caps. For example let's say the max limit at 20. Now here are the benefits I'm seeing.

1) This prevents warbands from maxing out all skills and thus forces players to specialize their warriors. Today the goal is to max out everything so all warriors have the same max skillsets. I think this will add to the fun and creation of more memorable warriors.

2) By not being able to max out all skills, Warband starting bonuses such as Reiklander's shooting skill and Middenheimers Strength skills will actually be valuable. Today not so much because with enough grinding it makes it obsolete.

3) More equitable PVP matches and more PVP matches in general. Today, high level warbands will have a hard time finding opponents. By having a lower threshold max that most players can achieve, this will result in more active PVP.

4) I think this is more in line with the TT designers vision of the game. I don't think they ever intended to have a single model acquire all skills and be an all-around power house.

There probably are others I can't think of right now. If this change were made, it should be applied to all warbands (regardless of how old). Those warbands should be credited back the skill points for players to determine where to respend them (I know that ability is available programming wise as it was done with Reiklanders). I have a maxed out warband and I'm willing to make this change for the long term improvement and fun of the game. Thoughts?
    Double Misfire and Algirdas25 like this.
  2. Algirdas25 Corporal

Message Count:
    Max level at 20?
    My warband with 6 lads that have min 30 will cry

Anyway good idea but max cap at 20 is little small
    Maybe 30?

Or it will depend on type of model

Henchmen max would be 20
    Cap 40
    Hired sword 30
    Or something like that
    And i that would be implemented it then there should be option to reassign skill point
  3. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    I think if the game had been originally designed with this in mind it would be great. Alternatively, if this were a special ruleset for some kind of pvp league or long tournament that would also be cool.

But I think maybe it's too late to implement this across the whole game. Too many of us are long past that cap already, and we'd lose a lot of progress on most if not all of our guys.
    Keovar likes this.
  4. Algirdas25 Corporal

Message Count:
    Well originally reiklanders had speed skill...
  5. Double Misfire Corporal

Message Count:
    I agree with this wholesale. Max stat/skill warriors are a nightmare and not reflective of tabletop campaigns (where you'd never play enough games to max a warrior's advances out, with or without death being pay2skip).

Advances past whatever the level cap was could allow warriors to respec a single skill point (and be saved, meaning that existing high level warbands wouldn't completely lose their xp if this were ever implemented)
  6. Oscar Junior Programmer

Message Count:
    This is a good idea, but unfortunately it is too late for us to make this change. The way / reason that Reiklanders had their skill points refunded would not apply to this so it would be too complicated to implement
  7. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Wanted to bump this idea up one more time just to ask if the programmers can re-consider working towards this change. Perhaps launching a Mordheim 2.0?

I realize that it most likely would be a lot of programming work, but could be a win/win for all in garnering interest from new players. Think long term here. Couple this with the leaderboard suggestion that Trapsinger posted a while back and I think this would create a much better product. Also if you have connections with GW and can encourage them to also to a re-launch of Mordeim TT, that would help too :) Necromunda got a re-launch so why not Mordeim?

But here is a dilemma that current players face. They start a warband, work towards building it up, have some good pvp matches along the way, but then once you build up to a certain rating level, you'll never find anymore opponents. So that new scenario what was just launched (Treasure Hunt) and future PVP scenarios will never get to be experienced by a high level warband. Having an end game that is reasonable reached by all (such as a Level 20-25 cap) would encourage more new players as well as more competition. From my experience in other games, it's that competition that generates more player spending.
    Double Misfire likes this.
  8. Double Misfire Corporal

Message Count:

Awesome post.

I do agree that after Posessed launch as the final "core" warband, it would be cool to see a Warband Skirmish 2.0 with a level cap and top down rebalancing, even if it's only an alternate game mode.
  9. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    PvP competition is not why I play. I only play solo because I like the game moving quickly when I'm able to play but also able to 'pause' indefinitely when I need it to. I play as solo characters and find enough challenge in that, but losing 40+ skill points would just ruin the game for me. I wouldn't be available for PvP matches, I'd simply be gone, and I'd likely avoid games from Legendary in the future.
    Some may say I'm not playing it 'right', but solo vs. AI is what I enjoy, and I don't care about anyone's 'badwrongfun' scolding. If there were a separate competitive ladder that would be great. I would play my way and those looking to PvP would play theirs, and we could both have a wider list of locations & scenario types to choose from, beyond the three we see now. A way to 'bench' warband members could be good too, so those with trouble finding PvP matches could bring smaller teams.