Suggestion: Tavern Adbvertisements to Focus Hired Sword Availability to Hire

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Auretious Taak, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Auretious Taak Corporal

Message Count:
    So I'm playing a reiklander warband and I'mw anting multiple Ogres. I've now played a few ghundred games and have just shy of 500 wrydstone shards found total. At around the 140 wrydstone gathered mark is when I unlocked hired swords for hire. I'm not going to settle for anything less then a 15 wound ogre so patience is the order of the day. However, it's been 360ish odd shards found and over 100 games since that time and in all of this time a grand totakl of 6 Ogres have been available for me to hire. Their woudnstotals to start being: 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 15. The first 15 wounder had appauling other stats and teh second one had 39 strength and 25 WS and low initiative but I wanted an Ogre so I could get some tankiness to my otherwise fragile squad of gun freaks so sucked it up and hired him.

100 plus games and 6 Ogres found only one of which was even remotely playable...pretty crappy to be honest and I almost walked away and played other games and just left mordheim Warband Skirmish be. It's incredibly frustrating.

SUGGESTION: At a cost of 5 or 10 gold crowns in the Tavern post battle, you can post a 'wanted to hire' advertisement which allows you to select which hired sword you are looking for and after the next battle 2 of the 4 hiring slots will be filled with those hired swords (unless it is a one off character like the vampire) and the other two a marksman/warrior type for your warbandas normal. This would greatly increase the liklihood of players being able to hire the hired swords theyw ant but also, because you cpould do it early on, probably ibncrease the revenue to Legendary games through fate Purchases as people with no gold supply are more likely to just use fate to purchase a hired sword or swords they want. Froma player perspective it means they don'tw aste the most valuable commodity that we as people have - our time, and thus keep the player base healthy, rather then have people rage quit because they justc an't get the characters they want. As it stands, it's ludicrous how hard it is to get a particular hired sword currently,a nd whilst I don't have to spend fate because I have so much gold saved up from waiting so long, I also own a top of the line gaming laptop and instead of wasting my time trying in vein to get a particular character for my warband so I can play it how I want to play it and enjoy the game as a whole without any real issues, I can just go play something else, and whilst the tabletop game of Mordheim remains my favourite of all tabletop games and so Mordheim warband Skirmish I willc ome back to, a large chunk of players won't. We exist, afterall, in an age where you simply do not have enough time to play every game you want to.

A simple put up an advertisement for a hired sword in the tavern at a small gold cost each game (granted itc ould be a quarter or half of your gold if only selling one or two shards a game on average) would make the game more enjoyable and retain more of the player base as well.

Ane xpansion on it, could be adding an extra 5 gold crowns to have a particular armament on characters - I've only ever hired skaven sorecerers, a vampire and one mercenary ogre so unsure if you can re-equip other hired swords or not, but if not then an additional 5 gold crowns to define what youw ant 9say a freelancer withs word and board (shield) or a two hander weapon for example, would be a logical progression to this.

Thoughts?

Have a grand day,

Auretious Taak.

Edit: So I can't edit the title and the glaring typo I missed when I posted the thread! maybe this can be fixed on the forums?
  2. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Hired swords unlock when you have 4 regular members regardless of shards or ratings. Technically you could hire 3 members at the start and then get an ogre after the first game.

What would be nice is if there was an option to reroll the available hires in the tavern. So create a slot machine concept where players can spend either gold or fate to reroll until they get the hired sword they want
    Spannna likes this.
  3. Auretious Taak Corporal

Message Count:
    You DID NOT READ WHAT I POSTED AT ALL.

Thankyou for basically restating what I posted for the thread.
  4. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Not really. You were asking for a mechanism to increase the chances of specific hires.

I was simply asking for a button I could repeatedly press (at the cost of either gold or fate per click) that would reset the available hires, similar to the concept of a slot machine where you can push the button as many times as you want assuming you have the money. My suggestion towards this route is because it may be easier to program and it gets to a similar end result that you were suggesting.
    Ewan Lamont likes this.
  5. Auretious Taak Corporal

Message Count:
    Currently, this mechanism exists, it's a bit fiddly but if you startanew game then tab out and close the game and reload it reloads all of the characters and hired swords available to hire. It can be time consuming and especially in the sub 1000 rating range of games it's just faster a lot of the time to play the game as normal so you get income and experience for the time yous pend doing it.

Essentially, we're asking for the same thing, thpough with slight differences:

Me: The specific hired sword youw ant appears in two of the four hire slots next battle at a gold cost.

You: At a gold cost you can refresh the hried swords available to be hired right then and there. If you have enough gold, the refresh ability is near limitless.

As toe ase of programming, whilst playing skaven I've had 2 hired swords appear frequently and 2 normal verminkin, so tweaking it so as if gold is spent 2 of the same hires are available doesn't seem to be that complex. I haven't the foggiest about prgramming mind but to me it's just tweaking the existing system whereas yours has an entire refresh mechanism that would have to be implemented. In any case, it doesn't matter from our perspective, what does is if the idea is popular enough that people would like to see it implemented.
  6. Spannna Private

Message Count:
    If I may expand on your concept. It wouldn't hurt to also watch a 20 sec advert to reroll the hired swords and henchmen. Being the tightarse I am, I would prefer to watch and ad and get a reroll, while Legendary still get revenue in some form. Win : Win.