Suggestion - Templar and Magic Hatred

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Cyberaddict, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Both skills' description starts the same way : "The warrior hates all users of magic." This leads me to beleive that at some point in the past, Magic Hatred was part of the Templar skill, and not a skill by itself. If that was the case, why was it changed? If not, may I suggest you fuse the two skills into Templar?

Magic Hatred's utility is pretty narrow, only useful against a very tiny part of the field. It's not really worth spending a level on that. Also, Templar grants absolutely no bonus or ability, but Fanatic does.

Comparing Fanatic to Templar (with the proposed fusion with Magic Hatred) :
    • Bonus :
      • Fanatic : +5 to Strength and passes all Leadership tests (both are always useful).
      • Templar : Rerolls all melee attacks vs magic users (very narrow).
    • Skills :
      • Fanatic : Unlocks 6 skills (Unstoppable Charge, Strongman, Resilient, Pit Fighter, Mighty Blow and Fearsome), but can't learn any Shooting Skills or become a Templar.
      • Templar : Animal Handling and Crossbow Pistolier (2), but can't become a Fanatic.
    • Others :
      • Fanatic : Can't wear Armour or use Ranged Weapons.
      • Templar : Dependencies (WS 30 and BS 30).
    Looking at the two skills (Fanatic and Templar), it only makes sense to fuse Magic Hatred into Templar. Otherwise, Magic Hatred is quite pointless, and Templar is a hard break on character's development (take a level to pause, before having the option of taking two other skills). Also, Animal Handling becomes increasingly less useful the higher level you are, as War Dogs can't keep up against opponents that are more and more powerful. All in all, the tax to get Crossbow Pistolier is quite high.
  2. Oscar Junior Programmer

Message Count:
    Magic Hatred is essentially fused into Templar. Spending a skill point on Templar unlocks Magic Hatred and Animal Handling, and also grants access to the Crossbow Pistolier and Pistolier skills
  3. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Do you mean that Templar does not only grant access to Magic Hatred and Animal Handling (by unlocking the skills, meaning the lock icon is removed and the skills can now be purchased), but also grant free skill points in these skills so they are learned the moment Templar is taken?

If that is correct, may I suggest you reword Templar’s description? The use of the word « unlock » is confusing. In my mind, and I guess in most people’s mind, the word unlock better describes what happen when I pick the skill Quick Reactions and the lock icon is removed from Ambush and Lightning Reflexes (but the skills don’t turn green, as they still have to be learned).

Frankly, I never took the Templar skill because it felt so underwhelming. I was wrong all the way.
  4. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    the witch hunter version of animal handling and their special skill magic hatred are both granted immediately at the moment you choose templar. but they are listed as separate skills because they are also both available for the warrior priest as separate skills because they cannot get the Templar skill.

also it unlocks both pistolier skills, crossbows and blackpower.
  5. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Thanks. Wiki updated : https://mordheim-warband-skirmish.wikia.com/wiki/Templar