Suggestion: Trollslayer movement speed mitigation

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Double Misfire, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Double Misfire Major

Message Count:
    Hi guys,

I'm loving having a bit free time to play Warband Skirmish at the mo, and have been enjoying putting the new Trollslayer hired sword through his paces, having not had much of an opportunity to while he was in beta. The slayer in my Reikland warband is now a reasonably high level (12), and I've probably played about 25 games with him against every type of warband, so I feel I'm able to give relatively informed feedback.

It's pointing out the obvious that the trollslayer is slow; very, very slow. Obviously this is designed to be compensated by a skilled up trollslayer hitting harder than any other warrior in the game with 8(!!) attacks, but even as part of a defensive waband with four ranged members and careful positioning, my slayer is making it into combat in maybe one in four games (most of his advances have been paid for).

I'd never suggest increasing the slayer's movement past its traditional 3, as this would make him both overpowered and essentially a short, fat human; but feel it's worth pointing out that in Warhammer Fantasy Battle (the game Mordheim's based on), dwarf armies low movement values have always been offset and mitigated by various special rules, the most important (and consistent) being dwarfs' unique ability to march (double move) when enemies are nearby, making them faster and more manoeuvrable than human or elf infantry at close quarters, while remaining the slowest troops in the game (fitting for a race of unphased tunnel fighters).

In 8th (the most recent) edition of WFB, all units, regardless of movement value would also charge the same (random) distance, which massively levelled the playing field, curbing faster armies, and giving dwarfs the opportunity to reach the other side of the battlefield, provided they committed to fighting the enemy in melee, and not turtling away and shooting.

With both of these in mind, I'd like to suggest the following new skill for the Trollslayer:

Deathwish:
    Trollslayers often surprise allies and foes alike, finding hidden reserves of energy to hurl themselves forward distances far outweighing their physical stature and in to the path of the mightiest possible doom.
    Instead of normally doubling, the trollslayer triples the squares he may move when charging an enemy warrior.

With a triple move charge for 9 squares, the trollslayer would still charge one less square than a human with the Sprint skill, wouldn't be any faster when it came to getting into position or taking treasure/objectives, and would be encouraged to adopt the most thematically "slayer" playstyle possible, throwing himself into harm's way in order to propel himself across the battlefield (but still being slower than all his allies while doing it!)

Slayers (and dwarfs) are probably my favourite part of Warhammer, thanks for adding him to the game! :D
    Perl Fisher and Fistandantilus like this.
  2. Fistandantilus Corporal

Message Count:
    that skill has merit to it...add he must charge large enemys first...Ogres...Rat Ogres...give the port belly a few more movement if its a large target lol...now thats a death wish, and you loss some control, like minor frenzy...if they r in range...:mad:
    Double Misfire likes this.
  3. Double Misfire Major

Message Count:

Good idea! Though large stuff is few and far between...
    Fistandantilus likes this.
  4. Fistandantilus Corporal

Message Count:
    True...possessed...will have one...could add vampire ‍♂️ and that for the extra few movement? And frenzy lack of choice ....
  5. Fistandantilus Corporal

Message Count:
    But still have the base skill for other time?
  6. Erkebrand Private

Message Count:
    If it's only when he charge it would be nice, i assume they can't have sprint right? the idea of being frenzy against big targets sounds great too. In tabletop they can't have any armour but had special salvations, may be interesting to add some dodge and parry to their war tattoos increasing the price of this skin armour. I don't know if it's already like this, i still don't have slayers.