Tavern and Hired Swords

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Marquand, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Marquand Major

Message Count:
    I noticed that hired sword occupy 3 of 4 available slots which severely limits the choice of warriors to hire. Could you please expand tavern slots or create special... "tavern" for hired swords?
    Canticle Van Darq likes this.
  2. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    The tavern is displayed like that because you only have one available slot for a Warrior/Marksmen in your Warband. After every mission, the tavern is randomized, but I think you've made a fair point. I highly doubt we'll be creating a separate tavern screen for hired swords, but I'll put forward some ideas to the team for an alternative of how many Warriors/Marksmen are shown when you're at that stage in the game. Thank you for raising your concerns!
    Canticle Van Darq likes this.
  3. Marquand Major

Message Count:
    That's good, thanks. I think one of each kind would be nice because sometimes there are 3 freelancers/pit fighters to choose from and only one warrior. I think you could remove the temple since fate points are available through shop and when warrior is injured.
  4. REkzkaRZ Private

Message Count:
    For Pete's sake, a shop disguised as a temple??? This is either a harsh critique of modern religion, or questionable design choices. A temple should offer blessings for gold (ie a temporary heal for 1 fight), weapon blessings of some sort, and a Fate point "roulette" w/some pious drivel by an old beer-drunk priest in robes.

Fate as your premium currency does go strongly against the Warhammer FRPG style. I never played Mordheim before this game, so I cant speak to this.
  5. Chaosticket Major

Message Count:
    Um not that I am arguing about Fate tokens, but that is pretty far off topic.

The Tavern should be about finding regular Henchmen and Mercenaries should be somewhere else like a Mercenary Guild.
  6. Gorvar Private

Message Count:

I don't know....fluff wise Mercs would be found in Tavern's as well. The first two slots being Mercs and the rest henchmen makes sense. You don't HAVE to spend RL money on new dudes and you can always swipe right.
    That being said, will Skaven and Vampire Count 'Taverns' look different from the Imperial ones?
  7. Chaosticket Major

Message Count:
    Its a big problem as ist not just about having 1 of each, like 1 warrior, 1 marksmen, 1 freelancer, and 1 pit fighter. Its also about quality. Each look at the tavern is basically a dice roll to see whether its worth it. Picking up a marksmen with 30 strength, 30 melee skill, 30 initiative, and 40 ballistic skill isnt always an option and when its do to a 12.5% chance to even have a marksmen, its railroading to "BUY OUR MERCENARIES".
  8. Marquand Major

Message Count:
    Fluffwise there were no limits of who you can hire and in what quantity. You could hire even (example) 10 wareband members of any sort + hired words if you had the money in one post battle phase.
  9. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Yes Skaven will have their own "Tavern" (burrow) and each of the other factions will have unique locations though many will have to stay the same for continuity and because of the time involved in changing them. The Skaven for example will still visit the Town Cryer to spy on the "noisy man thing" and see where shards are.
  10. Chaosticket Major

Message Count:
    a little off topic, but I wonder if the game will change more to allow full sized warbands like the tabletop Mordheim game. In that human warbands can have up to 15 members, possibly more with a certain item and/or a certain kind of mercenary. Also new members do not increase in cost as the tabletop Mordheim is made with the expectation that you will have characters dying and require replacements, not paying real cash to keep your characters alive.

Mercenaries are also purchased in any number with gold, at a lower value than their statistics and equipment is worth. However they do have an upkeep cost that you have to pay after every battle.
  11. Gorvar Private

Message Count:

Hey man, you defend your fluff explanations! I love it!
    OverWatch likes this.
  12. Chaosticket Major

Message Count:
    Or everyone just wears cloaks in a "dont ask-dont-tell" policy. Mordheim is postapocalyptic fantasy. There basically are no good characters as the best people are still treasure hunters. Humans, vampires, daemon-worshippers, and ratmen, walk into a tavern and [insert joke here].
  13. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    The only problem with that is if both players have 15 members in their Warband that could potentially make for extremely long matches. This is something we're trying to avoid being a game that people can pick up when they're out and about with ease.

Not a bad idea if we ever get private lobbies in the game though where long matches don't necessarily matter too much.
  14. Chaosticket Major

Message Count:
    warband size is one of the several problems with this game that still needs to be worked out. Some warband are based around size. Skaven originally could have up to 20 giving them a numerical advantage. I dont know how they will perform, Im assuming Humans but with different look.

Mercenaries in this are pay-to-win. I dont see anything good about them. In the tabletop game Upkeep costs balance them out so you cant just keep them cheap when theyre stronger than most warband members. Here every time I see any mercenaries I expect to see a Hochland Long Rifle somewhere.
  15. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Like I've stated in another thread, we have changed some rules so that they make sense as a mobile video game adaptation of the tabletop. Having 20+ units which are operable would not be a pleasant experience... especially when PvP is live.

I do understand that you aren't fond of the Mercenaries, but you really don't have to use them if you don't want to, we give you enough Fate coins starting off to make that decision.

Mercenaries are units that come already equipped with weapons/armour, but in no way does that make them pay-to-win. You can obtain everything that a Mercenary has over time and can get the same skills that they have too. They don't come with any extra skills that can only be accessed only through purchasing them and the equipment they come with cannot be replaced/swapped out between different units.

We have discussed the possibility of changing how you're matched against your opponents, by altering how equipment affects your Warband rating.
  16. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    Just beat 'Wolves of the North' and they have 3 pit fighters...
    ScubaSteve05 likes this.
  17. Chaosticket Major

Message Count:
    Mercenaries are very strong shortcuts. Just looking at one I see a Freelancer with a +35 armor item worth about 500gold, and the character itself is worth 100-200 gold, so youre saving a lot of gold to get a powerful crutch character. That extra gold means you can place in it other areas. Its fairly common to see Freelancer mercenaries used both to scout and as "tanks" to soak up damage while the great deal of gold saved to spend on expensive items like a Hochland Long Rifle or repeater Handgun.

Unless items are calculated in team matchups its easy to break any fairness. On the other side it also means losing equipment is devastating if youre reduced to replacing gromril armor with a brigandine because of a Robbed result but still getting top tier matchups.
    ScubaSteve05 likes this.
  18. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    The tanking bit is down to the AI though, not to the player so I'm not sure if that is a valid argument.

Also buying a merc will greatly increase your warband rating as they come with a lot of XP, so your matchup's will be harder because of it.
    ScubaSteve05 likes this.
  19. Chaosticket Major

Message Count:
    Still hating this. 75% of the people in the tavern are Mercenaries and only ONE person I can recruit for gold(a lot by the way). With random stats finding someone worth recruiting is hard.

Im assuming only Mercenaries will be available for the 8th slot.
    ScubaSteve05 likes this.
  20. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    I really hope not. Merc's should be limited to just 1 slot.

I thought today's patch was suppose to fix the merc issue anyway.
    ScubaSteve05 likes this.