Tomes of Magic

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Keovar, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    For a human captain: Say you've used 7 tomes of magic, opening the spell skills page and then enabling each of the six spells within, what happens if you try to equip another book? Does it level a random spell to 2/4, does it fail to do anything at all, or is the tome wasted to no effect?

Also, when a spell is increased in level, does it become more reliable to cast (5%, 10%, ?), does it become more effective (damage, range, duration), or both?

Thanks!
    — K
  2. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    Unfortunately, it does nothing at all. Equipping it just lets it sit in your inventory with no effect. Ah well, wasted crowns. Maybe someday the devs will make it advance a spell skill beyond 1/4.

I do still have the other question about how a spell is improved by taking it to 2/4 and beyond. Does it get more effective, a cast chance improvement, or both?
  3. Trapsinger Private

Message Count:
    My experience has been that a higher level spell has an improved cast chance only, but I've only ever leveled a necromancer far enough to test.

edit: usually +10% per level
  4. Shangular Corporal

Message Count:
    Improving any magic spell skill will improve casting chance by 10pct. No other benefit.
  5. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    Ah, thank you. Do you know if there's a lower cast penalty for ithilmar vs. gromril plate, or is it just strictly worse? Assume Warrior Wizard and Armour Training are used for both.
  6. Shangular Corporal

Message Count:
    If I recall correctly, I believe it is an 8% difference. Gromil will give you a -25% penalty with Warrior Wizard while Ithlimar give a -17% penalty.

But when you're enough level though, forget the armor and try wearing necrarch robes. Recently I've discovered that it is a lot more fun flying around with robes and a sniper rifle.
  7. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    At some point I'm considering that, but playing as a soloist there are still times when I have to wade in, especially if I get a mission to control the middle of the map.

I would just buy a collection of the top end gear and try it all, but it junks up the store screen since I have nowhere to put whatever I'm not wearing. Maybe it would be good to have some kind of chest in the camp screen that could 'equip' 20-something items to hold the collection where the store won't see it. Or the store could just have separate tabs for buying & selling (and maybe deal with selling Wyrdstone shards there).
  8. Shangular Corporal

Message Count:
    I play my merc as a soloist too. At first I used gromil and axe/pistol or dual pistols (to get the true John Wick experience). Was fun, but to mix things up and keep it interesting, lately I've been experiementing with robes and the sniper rifle. I like challenges otherwise I get bored and you obviously have to be more careful when you time your approach to wade in, but I find that with a high enough WS, it provides enough defense where you can survive one round of melee attacks long enough to win objectives. Plus the 100% chance to cast flight means you will always have lots of mobility options for hit and run. The only thing you have to be careful is facing high level vampires or high level snipers who will shred you if you have low defense. But a key tactic with snipers is to attack someone and just stun them (not kill), so you can't get shot at.
  9. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    Is there any reason to use an elven bow vs. the rifle-with-sight? I think I'd prefer an 'Arcane Archer' feel over the 'Spellpunk Cowboy' thing, but if it's just strictly worse...
    I am curious if the dominant-hand pistol works along with the repeater pistol or some other off-hand item, though.
  10. Shangular Corporal

Message Count:
    The rifle is far superior in that it has a longer range and ignores cover saves (although there is a skill that gives the same effect). Black powder weapons also do more damage on average than bows. But for RPG/fun purposes, use the elven bow. For a while I ran my merc with dual pistols because I based him on John Wick when I decided to do a solo warband. It's not as effective as an axe and pistol but it's very fun and looks cool.

The dominant hand pistol and repeater don't work well in that you can't use the repeater in close combat. So if you want to use the right hand pistol, go dual pistol.
  11. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    This thread has wandered pretty far from its original question, so thanks for all the varied information and advice! What's your soloist called? I think I've only ever run into one other solo character, but I am still playing vs. AI for the most part and maybe their system for copying warbands for AI use tends to avoid solo characters.

I hadn't even heard of the John Wick character before, but all the images on a Google search seem to show a single pistol. Dual pistols reminds me of the 'gun kata' fighting from Equilibrium.
    I guess if I were to base a combat style on a character from other fiction, I guess I could do staff & pistol like Harry Dresden, as pictured in my avatar.
    For damage output, I'm still doing best with the Gromril greatsword, but of course I have all the skills for that and still have the majority of the ranged skills left to learn.
  12. Shangular Corporal

Message Count:
    John Wick is a action-based movie. There is 2 so far with a 3rd coming out. Storyline isn't original, but makes this one stick out more than other action movies is the choreography of gun-kata fighting style. This was the first time I've seen that fighting style and it was really entertaining to watch. I happened to create my solo warband shortly after watching the 2 movies.

My solo warband is called Reikland Mercenaries (actually all 3 of mine have the same name). The character within that warband is called The Real John Wick. To keep this amusing I've been experimenting with different armor/weapon combos so I haven't equipped the dual pistols for a while.

Yes, there are solo warbands in the AI selection. But AI selection is based on your rating. I believe it randomizes your AI opponent and there are many warbands 500 and below so it may be difficult to get a specific one. Once you get to like 3000 rating, the warbands are pretty the same as I assume there aren't very many for the AI to choose from. My solo rating is about 750 so you'll need to get around there to face mine as AI or if you can get to about 375, who could face mine in Live PVP as I think it lets you queue up to twice you're rating, although once I was able to join a game with someone almost 3 times my rating, so don't know if that was a glitch but have never been able to do so again. Anyways, once your solo around 400 he can pretty be competitive against any warband that he can queue against.

What I've found for dmg output, I like the gromil axe (55% crit with skill) and pistol for extra attack vs most opponents except higher level vampires with maxed out defense and shield (against this if you don't crit, you won't do much dmg). Against opponents with super high defense, the comet maul works best because it limits the opponents defense to 20. The downside with that is I can't equip the sniper rifle which is very fun to use.
  13. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    These are the dual pistol gun kata scenes from Equilibrium. Looks like it came before John Wick, but it also takes a lot more sci-fi liberties to make it work.

My soloist, band name and character, is Lone Wolf. Besides the obvious solo character thing it's also a reference to a game book series I liked as a kid. He's at 521 rating at the moment.
  14. Keovar Corporal

Message Count:
    I ran into an AI-run band of Reiklanders called 'Darkness', and they had some spell which seemed to double their stats. It was some blue circle with signals inside, and after the mage cast it, all the units surrounding him apparently got the ability to run at least halfway across the map, and one of them did over 20 damage in one swing. Maybe it was some other item they were all using? They just appeared to have repeater pistols and I'm not sure what the melee weapon the one guy whipped out was. I haven't used the various consumables besides healing herbs and a couple superior gunpowder, but if that was the effect of one of the others, I wouldn't think an AI copy of a band should be able to use it since it wouldn't be consumed.