Unwinnable Games

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Gurslak, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Gurslak Corporal

Message Count:
    I've a repeating problem with unwinnable games, no, I'm not referring to opposing warbands but other factors.

1) Deployment of friendly warband members within charging range of the enemy. Having a guy wiped out or stranded immediately is not fun or challenging, it's plain annoying.

2) Shard deployment on Collect the Shard scenario.
    This is my biggest bugbear and it swings both ways whether I'm the lucky or unlucky one. Games that end in turn one or two aren't remotely fun to play.
    I'm referring to when all the shards to be collected are deployed in or just outside one warbands deployment zone. If you're the wrong side, there's no way you can make it across the map to snag even one shard and thats even taking the decidedly dodgy AI into consideration.
    Surely having the shards deployed in the central 3rd of the map couldn't be too much to ask.
  2. FlaminGallahs2089 Corporal

Message Count:
    Even if the shard ones just made your leader spawn immediately with a shard would make sense.
    This way at least the game would go on until they kill your leader or you kill theirs after collecting all the shards.

And it always struck me as off that once you collected all the shards its just a peaceful resolution, like as if Undead/ vampires would just walk away cause humans outsmarted them. But for diversity and flow of the game I dont mind this little quirk.
  3. Deadhiel Corporal

Message Count:

Thankfully, I've only experienced 1) once... not a pleasant experience *chuckles*...

Sadly I experience 2) constantly, to the point where I just don't take collection missions anymore. The last 5 collection missions always seem to place the shards within 2 turns from the opponent and in some cases 1 turn. It also (for me) groups the shards close together. I find myself getting auto defeated by turn 5. (I run with 3 man warbands for the most part, two dreg's (or whatever) being low level so I keep them out of combat where possible and just try for the +1 xp for surviving)
  4. Amaan Shawkath Quality Assurance

Message Count:
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we will be looking into collection games and seeing if we can adjust the location of the pickups so it's fairer for both warbands.

Also, the scenario you mentioed sounds a lot like the Ambush game type where essentially you are ambushed by the other warband, are all your match ups like this?
  5. Deadhiel Corporal

Message Count:
    Hi Amaan, Thankfully the ambush mission only happened once. I'm usually very careful in what battles I select. If I see something that says ambush I'll avoid it. :)
  6. Gurslak Corporal

Message Count:
    I always play the second mission down which gives no information about anything other than location. I'm guessing it gives a random mission and opponent, which is why it doesn't always occur.
  7. Auretious Taak Corporal

Message Count:
    Lets see, Mercenaries of whatever flavour - Run + Flight of the Zephyr can get considerable movement speed in one turn. Got Crimson Shade handy? Even more speed there. Not beingw eigheddown by heavy armour also helps of course.

Skaven, skaven are broken here - Infiltrate + Black Hunger + (if you've got it) Crimson Shade. Youc an get all the shards before the opposing side gets a chance even if they are set up near the other warband, with a bit of luck and high initiative.

There's also the spell that buffs their movement to boot. So yeah, Skaven, op on speed if you reallyw ant them to be, it'll hurt you but it's pretty awesome.

Undead, I've not played them enough to know how fast they can get to if needed.

The point is, there are ways to move faster, you just have to think about them nd not just play a black and white approach to the warbands, be a lot more flexible with it all.

I do agree though that shard placement should be a minimum distance from all warband members of all sides.
  8. Deadhiel Corporal

Message Count:
    As it stands, the placement is (though random) too close to either starting area's. I've had three matchs today where they were (2/3) right next to the starting area for my opponents. Having said that I also had 3/3 right on top of my starting area. In this instance I snap up 2/3 and hover near the third then milk xp.

It would be better having all shards appear in the middle third of the map and not clumped ever.

Myundead fail terribly at shard hunting missions. My Skaven eat them for breakfast :)
  9. _Q_ Corporal

Message Count:
    On the tabletop there are rules about shard placement (minimum distance from the edge and from other shards) - shouldn't be too hard to replicate, surely.