Vampires and necromancy

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Lord Bl00d, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Lord Bl00d Private

Message Count:
    I thought it’d be pretty cool and characterful to stat up my vampire to be able to use life stealer so he could actually suck the blood of his enemies.

Took a while to find and buy some tomes of necromancy, then I had to take the following upgrades: necromancy, sorcery, death vision (useless as he already causes fear), doom, then 4 levels of life stealer.
    He should have a 40% chance to cast it (the max), but 4-5 attempts per game in over 25 games and he has failed every single time! WTF?!

It’s cost 8 levels and a rare item, on an expensive hired sword, and it does absolutely nothing!

It’s only supposed to take 3-5 wounds from the target, anyway. It’s not like that’s even a big hit this far on in the game, so why is it so difficult to access, and impossible to cast?

If armour makes spells impossible then it would say so in the spell description and in the armour description. It doesn’t.

he has managed to use ‘spell of awakening’ to resurrect a dead opponent. But that is the only spell that has worked for him, ever!

This is clearly a bug that needs fixing.
  2. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    Because random number generators in traditional systems are only pseudorandom, there tends to be a fair bit of value clumping. Think of 40% as mostly never. The actual distribution is determined by a seed value so you could try restarting the game. Assuming it’s recalculated at launch (which it may not be) that 40% also means your new seed value will also be of the “almost never” variety. You’ll eventually hit a streak of battles where it casts correctly but Lord only knows when that will be. They could forcibly even out the distribution but then people would be counting their spell casts.

Also, a vampire with decent starting stats can easily become a nigh-invulnerable warband killing machine. I feel your pain but, honestly, giving them any more power would break the game.
  3. Lord Bl00d Private

Message Count:
    How is 40% “almost never”?
    It starts at 0% (so sorcery bonus + equipment) and maxes out at 30% + sorcery + equipment.
    Surely 40% is just under half the time!
    If 40% is “almost never” then it’s not even an ability and shouldn’t be an option!

I’m not asking for the epic power of the doom spell to be improved, it’s amazing when it works but I think it should be necromancer only. When I read the description I thought that it made zombie hands hold the target in place so they couldn’t move, which would have been pretty cool, but then it just took them straight out of action, which is brutal. But it works about the right amount of times, 1 in 5 hits when maxed out. so it is unreliable enough to be playable. But for some reason targets keep dodging it and saving against it. It’s difficult enough to cast, and almost he only reason to keep a necromancer, without there being extra ways to avoid it!

I think that doom and life stealer should switch places in the spell tree, life stealer is a less potent spell, so should be easier to cast. By the time you have life stealer You’d have to cast it three times to take someone out.

If the vampire’s necromantic magic tree was an inverted version of the necromancer’s it’d be much more characterful.

What is really annoying is how rubbish and Unreliable magic is (lesser and necromantic) compared to the prayers of Sigmar.
    A warrior priest or sister superior can almost guarantee casting the nigh on impenetrable comet armour (that is supposed to be armour 80 by is way more effective than my vampire’s armour 90) and the burning hammer of doom (that is way better than the flaming sword). Then they have the ability to fully heal anyone, at will. That is extremely potent and seems to work all the time!
  4. Perl Fisher Private

Message Count:
    Are you aware, that armourvalue is subtracted from your chance to cast spells? If your vampire for instance is wearing full plate (armour 35) and a helmet (another 10), he has -45 on his spellcasting, bringing his chance of succes below 0.
  5. Lord Bl00d Private

Message Count:
    Nope.
    That wasn’t explained anywhere. No reasonable games company would impose a penalty that hasn’t ever been mentioned anywhere! That’d be completely unfair on the players!
    it is not in the spell descriptions,
    It is not in the armour descriptions,
    It is not in the ‘arcane lore’/‘necromancy’ skill description.
    It’s not on the Wiki.

Wizards and necromancers don’t have an option to wear armour so it is not a consideration.
    Warrior priests and sisters of sigmar can wear armour and it doesn’t affect their spell casting ability.

Therefore by the president set, if the character can wear armour and can cast spells, neither one interferes with the other.
    If wearing armour impeded the spell casting it would be mentioned SOMEWHERE in the game.
    It would be totally and utterly unfair of the game creators to let you spend hours, or even days, of gameplay earning abilities then impose A COMPLETELY UNMENTIONED PENALTY that stops them from working.
  6. Enajien Private

Message Count:
    It's mentioned in game. When you click on a spell it gives you the % chance to cast, armour reduces this. Also the Academic skill Warrior Wizard says it reduces the penalty of wearing armour.
  7. Lord Bl00d Private

Message Count:
    It is NOT mentioned anywhere in the game!

The percentage chance of casting a spell, in he spell’s description in the character’s skill section, is NOT affected by the character being equipped with armour, and the percentage does not show up during the game.

The only mention of armour imposing any penalty on spell casting is in the “warrior wizard” skill. But you have to have purchased the possessed warband upgrade to even see that skill!
    This means that you can play 6 other warbands (5 of which you’ve paid for) that all have access to characters who can wear armour and cast spells, but never see a single hint that there is a hidden game mechanic that makes this counter productive.
  8. Enajien Private

Message Count:

Attached Files:

9. Bej Private

Message Count:
    Any of the Mercenary Captains also have access to the Warrior Wizard skill.
  10. Lord Bl00d Private

Message Count:
    They didn’t when I played the riekland and middenheim warbands a month ago!
    Must have been a recent update.

Why does every leader except the necromancer and vampire have the skill, when the only ones who should have it are the vampire and the magister?

The vampire should be able to be a vampire!
    Goodness knows the rest of the undead warband is crappy enough!
    Dregs are have lame starting stats so can’t get very good, and ghouls are useless against armoured opponents (and always have wasted stat points boosting their starting ballistic skill despite being unable to use it!)

I like the necromancer, but he’s either super effective or utterly useless. So you basically have a vampire supported by zombies... and now you say the vampire can’t support the zombies I’d he’s wearing armour!?