Variable characteristics

Ok, I don't think it's a good idea.Why?
Starting chracteristic for warriors vary extrememly:
- starting wounds 3 to 5
- marksmen BS from 33 (or something) to full 40
- warriors strenght and WS from 29 to 36
etc.
It's often impossible to create reasonable warband without chracterisitc handicap since choices at the tavern are very limited (especially since hired swords occupy to much slots). Not to mention that warriors with higher starting stats have far greater chance of advancing quicker because they're (obviously) more effective in combat from the start.

Characteristic advances:
- I think randomnes should go, or the spread between minimal and maximal value should be lessened. 3 and 7 is definitely too much. 4-6 should work. Problem with high spread is that some warriors cannot even achieve certain skills because randomness works against them (like 3 x 3 strenght advance which stops one point short from strongman and then mighty blow and entirely blocking fearsome) and so are veeery ineffective in later campaign. Same goes with wounds and WS/BS characteristics. Acquiring XP as game progresses is more difficult and unlucky advance rolls mean that some warriors will be almost totally ineffective because they're stuck with low stat and need double (or even triple) xp to get what others get with one advance.

For example: Warrior with 34 WS with one lucky roll (7 or 6) can take another attack as a next advance. Same warrior who rolls less than 6 needs another WS advance (which also could be very low) to do the same. etc.

I know it's this game flavour but some bad random rolls make fighters very weak in certain crucial areas which affects, for example, weapon choices. To be more effective in close combat, low S warrior has to take great weapon because with shield/buckler and 1h weapon he can't deal any damage. This unfortunately stacks with other bad rolls like low wounds and low WS and in later campaign it really, really hurts :(

My new warband's leader has 5 upgrades in WS.

+3,+3,+5,+3,+4.

This means I have to take the 6th WS upgrade before I can have my 3rd attack. Some of my other warbands have only needed 4 upgrades to get that.

If I'd had 1 less WS there would be the possibility that I'd never be able to get that 3rd attack and be permanently worse off.

I do think the variability is far to high, esp with no way to 'reroll' them. Maybe using a skill point to reroll the lowest roll once it's maxed?

I think they should be fixed and let people choose the way of advancing. There certainly won't be an issue with mirror matches.

Wounds - these are very valuable later in the game when you can be taken OoA very fast because you're less than 11.

Fixed chracteristics would also help with with the tavern - for example you have to skip recruitment sometimes because the only available warriors are (for example) 3 wounds, marksmen with BS 32, or warrior with strenght lower than 30. Later is only harder.

It's a common problem when you stop one point short from a certain skill and you cannot advance anymore (what etherkye mentioned). My warriors were often plagued by strenght 39 and, being unremarkable in other departments they always took the beating.

I don't mind variations, but 3-7 is a HUGE difference, the total being 18-42!

I think it should be 4-6 on the WS and BS, that'll mean you ALWAYS get the skills even if you're really unlucky.

Wound however are the most important thing, and I'm just maxed someone with +2,+3,+2. And I've spent over a week on him and I'm really not happy about this. They should be fixed.

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys.

As you've mentioned you've got an issue with Wounds as well (Etherkye) do you have any suggestions on how this could be improved? It'd be interesting to keep the conversation going...

As usual, I'll be collecting all the information you submit to pass on to the rest of the team so, keep it coming.

As you've mentioned you've got an issue with Wounds as well (Etherkye) do you have any suggestions on how this could be improved? It'd be interesting to keep the conversation going...
3 ideas.

1. Reduce randomisation. WS and BS should be 4-6, and wounds should be fixed.
2. Offer a GOLD item that resets all skill points so you can rebuy the skills and try for different results (and try new builds)
3. Once you max a skill out allow a method to reroll the lowest result, make another skill point/gold. With a guarantee that you can't get worse (if it would be worse it stays the same).

No, just make ALL characteristics fixed. It's kind of unfair tha:
a) you can start weak and be further crippled by a bad advance rolls
c) start with good stats and then have a bunch of bad advance rolls that makes you weak.
At the same time, enemy warriors can roll great and start with good stats.

You have 2 warriors both with same amount of hard earned xp. One is useless/average other is a monster, thanks to randomness. Where's sense in that?

More important is that bad rolls makes certain skills unavailable. Skill without which you have no chance later (like strongman->mighty blow or 3rd attack).
Please make starting characteristics and charcteristic advances fixed.

Definitely start with wounds. Wounds SHOULD be fixed, both starting and advances.

No, just make ALL characteristics fixed. It's kind of unfair tha:
a) you can start weak and be further crippled by a bad advance rolls
c) start with good stats and then have a bunch of bad advance rolls that makes you weak.
At the same time, enemy warriors can roll great and start with good stats.

You have 2 warriors both with same amount of hard earned xp. One is useless/average other is a monster, thanks to randomness. Where's sense in that?

More important is that bad rolls makes certain skills unavailable. Skill without which you have no chance later (like strongman->mighty blow or 3rd attack).
Please make starting characteristics and charcteristic advances fixed.

Definitely start with wounds. Wounds SHOULD be fixed, both starting and advances.
Some randomness isn't bad. Keeping WS & BS at 4-6 would mean you'd always be able to get the 3rd ATK

Mayby this. Initiative, LD and BS too. But not wounds. Wounds should be fixed for everyone. I think randomness belongs to the battlefield.

ATT, WOUNDS, MOVE, are primary stats. The slightest change in them can have far reaching consequence's, and they should be fixed numbers.

INT, LD, WS, and BS, STR, are what I'd call secondary stats. It's good to get them as high as possible, but they aren't the be all and end all.

ARMOUR, CRIT, PARRY, are equipment stat's, and should be changeable to fit our needs at the time, which they currently are.

Stats requirements in warband skirmish are mostly there to pad out the game and prevent people from choosing the cost-effective SKills like Trick Shooter and Fearsome.

In Original Mordheim statistic increases were just as important as Skills as any stat increase were effectively flat +16% increase to to the success rate of whatever stat was increased. Wounds had a much more dramatic effect. 1 wound increased DOUBLED you characters lifespan.

The random stats dont help anything as more liekly than not youll find sub-standard statsistics that will take extra levels to MAYBE reach the same point.