Warlock pets

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Blackstaff, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Blackstaff Corporal

Message Count:
    Funny question, considering that I've been playing here for years, but is it really a thing that Warlocks can only get a dog if the hireling is a member of a merc human warband? Trying to wrap my head around why this is; it seems unfair at a glance. I know pets aren't really a big deal in terms of game mechanics, but why even give the Warlock Animal training if they can't obtain them on most warbands?
  2. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    I think that I have seen warlocks have direwolfs. Loooong time ago, not sure. Someone gotta test it out
  3. Blackstaff Corporal

Message Count:
    I figured out there was a problem when my Dwarves' warlock couldn't find a warhound after I'd bought the animal training skill, and refreshed the shop at least ten or so times looking for a warhound. I think it's an equipment issue, as in the warlock can only find the same pets as the hiring warband.

If this is a programming issue, I can grudgingly accept the status quo, even though it changes the quality of the hireling, if only in a minor way. If it's not a requirement of the programming (not that I can see how it would be), then the devs need to fix the store so that non-merc band warlocks can get pets.
  4. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Are pets even good? My only experience is too many rats boring me to death (AI is sloooow), or zombies who can't keep up with me because of slow movement. Dogs are worth it?
  5. Blackstaff Corporal

Message Count:
    Your well-documented opinion about pets aside, I'm interested in fairness, or the correction of a mistake if that's the case here.
    CzaRus likes this.
  6. Perl Fisher Private

Message Count:
    Warlocks can simply have the same pets as the warband, they are part of, if they have the skill. Thus warlocks have dogs in Reikland warbands, zombies or dire wolves in undead warbands, dark souls in possessed warbands, etc.
    Therefore in a dwarf warband, warlocks can’t have pets, as dwarves have none (yet?).
    No mistake here, but it’s of course unfortunate that you wasted a skill point on a useless skill.
    CzaRus likes this.
  7. Blackstaff Corporal

Message Count:
    Perhaps not a mistake, but certainly a load of crap, as in unfair.
  8. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    Unfortunately your warlock can’t have a pet because pets haven’t been implemented for dwarves. I imagine that was by design rather than some sort of oversight. The game is nearing the end of its life. It’s even nearer still to the end of its update cycle. They’re a small team so spending the majority of their time on Project Dark is probably a necessity. Hopefully it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Kickstarter project of the same name.
  9. Blackstaff Corporal

Message Count:
    And nearing the end of my desire to post or publicly care about this version of Mordheim. ;)