Warrior Priests!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Prabdeep Bazaz, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    warrior-priest-release-image.png

With fire burning in their eyes, the Warrior Priest strides into battle, chanting aloud the Deus Sigmar, the praise of the patron god of the Empire.

Warrior Priests are now available for Witch Hunter warbands with 4 members or more. The Priests of Sigmar hold powerful abilities to bolster and inspire their comrades in the fight against evil.

Also in this update, fixes to the in-game sounds/audio, fireball issue and other fixes that you will see in the game.

Head over to the Appstore right now to download the latest update http://onelink.to/75hkpy! Comment down below your thoughts on the update.
  2. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    Yay! I'm so excited. It's time to burn some witches!
  3. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Nice! Again thanks for continuing to add new content to the game. I like the new Middenheimer frontman look with that wolfhead. Had a couple of questions:

1) Are there plans to add magic (holy) books that allow a Warrior Priest to gain access to new prayers? Similar to warlocks and necromancers? Wondering if I should save skill points to unlock them if books are coming out soon.

2) If you get the warrior priest leadership to 100 (from items, skill upgrades, or Heart of Steel prayer) will he ever fail any leadership tests required to maintain a prayer?
  4. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    Hey, I'm not a dev, so take this as you will, but I was involved in the testing. To the best of my understanding:

1. The Holy Tome for the priest adds +10% success rate to casting, not additional spells. So you'll need to use skill points to get your spells.

2. Leadership tests are out of 100, so any value 100 or higher will automatically pass. (I'm already using that little tidbit on my witch hunter leader to make everyone near him immune fear with battle tongue.)
  5. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    1. I understand that the current Holy Tome adds 10%. But I'm asking if there are future plans to add a new set of books that will function like the Magic tomes/Book of Necromancy that gives access to new prayers? Instead of spending skill points to access them, I can wait to buy the books.
  6. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    There aren't any in the testing phase, and I doubt there will be because the tome of magic and the holy tome are both in the original mordheim book, but nothing else is. Also there was no way to promote a character to be a priest in the original mordheim book, but there was a way to promote a mercenary to be a lesser magic user, which is why that tome gives spells and the holy tome doesn't.

but who knows, i could be wrong.
  7. Igenham Corporal

Message Count:
    I agree it is cool, but I almost feel like there are some proportion issues like his arms being too short... Am I just seeing things?
  8. Jesse Shaffer Corporal

Message Count:
    I think it’s the position of the arms and the flat lighting that make them look stubby. Well, that or the dude’s a really tall dwarf. And not the magic kind. LOL
  9. Sean Private

Message Count:
    I'm feeling a little underwhelmed by the warrior priest, at least in the early game..
    The spell that he started with is the magic immunity one, which is a powerful effect, but not something that will come into play that often. The Doom spell is about the only one you really want to be immune to, and all it means is that a different party member will get Doomed instead!

When fighting undead however, both the WP and the Witch Hunter repeatedly failed their Fear tests, leaving it to the followers to go and deal with that scary ghoul! Not exactly leading by example:) Would it be possible for the magic immunity spell to also make the WP immune to fear, with the more advanced spell doing so to nearby allies?

Meanwhile, he is using a weapon, and occasionally the Hammer spell, if it stays up long enough. It's only been a few fights, but he hasn't yet connected with it! Thematically, world it not make sense for him to have a small bonus to hit with Hammers, and incentivise W.P.s to use those instead of spears and swords?
  10. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    Hey, Sean!

So I don't particularly like the spell immunity very much either, I haven't ever seen it be useful, but I don't think it's right for it to make him immune to fear. He already has two other spells that do that, and with just a couple leadership boosts (try giving him a Great Hat) you can cap leadership so he's immune to fear anyway. And he has a skill he can get that makes him cause fear (and be immune). During testing the warrior priest started with heal instead of spell immunity, which was much better, but perhaps too much better. If i was going to make a change i'd just have him start with the Hearts of Steel spell instead of Aura of Faith.

Also if you get some leadership boosts on your priest, his Hammer of Sigmar and Armour of Righteousness will stay up permanently when you cast them also, which will help a lot with the whole hammer theme. Go with Great Hat, Full Plate, and a torch (or a battle puppet if you have fate) for a +20 (or +25) to leadership.

Also a couple of leadership advances, and a great hat, on your leader plus battle tongue will make most of your warband immune to fear if your leader fights melee.
    Double Misfire likes this.
  11. Sean Private

Message Count:
    Yeah, I agree with your points. I'm just a little disappointed with how long it takes to get to those other spells, and take leadership advances. Unlike most other Spellcasters you want to spend some advances on improving your weapon skills, so it's going to take a while before he becomes really effective, whereas a necromancer, say, can just beeline to Doom.

Like you say, if he started with Hearts of Steel instead of Aura of Faith, that would be much better. Though with only 6 possible spells, it would still hurt that Aura of Faith is so niche. Maybe if that spell also gave allies within 2 a reroll versus spells?
  12. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    I also think that the Aura of Faith will feel a lot less niche when the Possessed come out, and there is a chaos magister throwing around chaos spells that do things like automatically stun you, or hit you 1-3 times at strength 50, or take control of your character away from you.
    Double Misfire likes this.
  13. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I think the WP has lots of potential when leveled up. I won't want him to be too powerful too quickly. But agree that Aura prayer is a bit underwhelming. Perhaps what would be nice is if it had an AOE effect that protected nearby models from spells (Doom, Rat carpet, fireballs, etc.). But not sure if that would mess up anything balance-wise.

The heal spells is pretty cool although I wish the pct. casting was 10% higher (currently you can get 80% max with book).
    Although this is a helpful spell, I've found that it's balanced out by the WP being slow (moving at 4 vs 5 like the rest of the WB) and short range.

The Hammer spells I think is good as is because once you max out the WP's WS and Crit skill (you'll get 50% with this spell) this will be a pretty cool weapon. It's almost like combining the Skull Hammer with the Gromil Axe.
  14. Jesse Shaffer Corporal

Message Count:
    Does the Hammer of Sigmar modify your base crit or is weapon crit also included? In table top, the WP’s damage was automatically doubled by HoS. I’m on my third Witch Hunter warband and, in the latest group, my level seven Warrior Priest seems to crit almost every time. Since he’s using a battle axe, the Hammer of Sigmar modifier would bring his chance to critically hit up to 80. Then again, maybe I’v just been lucky until now and I’m about to have a long streak of zero critical hits from him.
  15. Amaan Shawkath Quality Assurance

Message Count:
    Sounds like you got lucky :p
  16. Jesse Shaffer Corporal

Message Count:
  17. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Actually scratch my comment above about making the Aura prayer an AOE effect. I was looking through the Mordheim book last night and to be consistent, the effects match up. But one thing that should be reconsidered is the success rate to cast prayers, particularly the Healing Hands. In the TT, it was successful on a 5+, meaning rolling 2 dice, you needed to get 5 or higher to succeed. 5+ is the best chance for any spell to work in the TT. With that, the current Healing hands as a 70% successful rate when you max out the skill. In comparison, a spell like Flight of Zimmeran, which is a 7+ rate in the TT version has an 80% success rate. So I think bumping the Healing up to 80% max with 4/4 skills can make sense.
    Jesse Shaffer likes this.
  18. Jesse Shaffer Corporal

Message Count:
    Add a Skull Splitter (basic hammer) for an additional +5 leadership. Also, Battle Puppets only give +5 leadership while a Bell of Faith gives +10. If you give him a Bell of Faith, you might want to also give him an Elvin Cloak to compensate. Lastly, while the Great Hat is the best choice stats wise, it's not particularly priestly. The See No Evil also gives +10 leadership and makes him look like a total lunatic. ;) So far, I haven't missed the -10 in initiative.
  19. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    The problem with the skull splitter is that when you use the hammer of sigmar it gets replaced. so it doesn't really help. But yeah, the see no evil looks great, and we can still see his bald priestly head with it.
  20. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I’ve been using the stove hat with my WP to try to keep the unique WH look. I tried the See No Evil but something just doesn’t look right. I think it’s that piece that falls next to his nose that bothers me.

6BCC63BD-11B3-4C69-9E4E-AB16358F4E73.jpeg