What would you like to see in future updates?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Overwatch, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    This is a great opportunity for all of our existing Shuuro players! We want to add some more features to the game, keeping it as fun to play as possible for all of you. If you would like to get your voice heard by our team simply answer the two questions below and we'll do our best to get back to you as soon as we possibly can.

What features do you like / dislike about the game currently?
    What sort of things would you like implementing into a future update?

Hope you're all having a great day and I hope to hear from you, get involved!
    ScubaSteve05 likes this.
  2. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    Soonest in game change (ideally to me) can be online player vs online player challenge system outside of campaign just for fun. I have completed campaign, and just today was given my first game in almost or just over a week.

When you deploy your pieces, an ideal set up is one where every piece is defended at least once, and maybe even twice if possible, if open diagonals and files are present. Not defending pieces on drop is asking to lose. ... drop being first turn after deployment.

This is more gameplay, so maybe some instructional content giving advice on good set ups vs bad set ups. So "how to deploy pieces" page where players can read with some demo images of good and bad ideas. Include plinths, all individual pieces in strong and weak setups to help move along the learning curve.

So along with this, is piece placement for development. Let's say for instance, you deploy a bishop in a 6 x 6 square on squares 1. 1, then place a pawn on 2. 2, additionally, let's say there is a plinth on 3. 3. Ok, so if this is the case, your steps to develop the bishop out of necessity are: move pawn from 2. 2 upwards. Move bishop from 1, 1 to 2.2. Then either to 1, 3 or 3. 1. 3 moves to even get bishop in game! Extremely slow. And if the opponent has quicker moves you can easily fall behind. Since 6 x 6 is quick.. almost guaranteed that corner bishop will hurt you. However corner bishops can still be good. Let's say 1.1 is bishop, and 2.2 you place another bishop, and lets say 3.3, 4, 4 5,5 6,6 have no plinths, your double bishop on 1.1 2.2 for the black diagonal can allow for a lightning fast attack.

I wrote more on the Facebook page if people want to check it out.
  3. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    OK also, even though I have the game, and wouldn't play people I know online... I challenged one person inviting them with email address... and it said there email address did not exist or was invalid bla bla.

I really think this whole thing needs to be reworked. I noticed several years ago the different challenge mechanism of online players challenging other players was brought up... and went no where???? disappointing.

Community desperately needs these things to survive.. or how do we hold players?
  4. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:

Thanks for the feedback, you've made some really interesting points and I really like the idea of the instructional content. I think Chess can be quite daunting to some people, so by having the instructional content it'll open up doors for people that wouldn't even have thought about playing Chess before! I also agree that the challenging system needs to be improved and there needs to be a much steadier approach to being able to invite players to a game, we understand that the matchmaking at the moment is problematic and that once people have completed the campaign there isn't really much more for them to do. But in due time we'll implement all of these updates and bring to life community given feedback like what you've gave me! I'll make sure the rest of the team gets this information.
    ScubaSteve05 likes this.
  5. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    Perhaps for each map size, 6. 6, 12. 6, and 12. 12, there could be just a "dummy" setting, where you can load the map, select a piece from a side bar, and place it wherever you want. For either side. So I can create a "my side" with yellow and an "opponent's side" with blue, and then physically move the pieces in a pretend match with myself. Just do mock set ups practice see the board. Go through 5-10 moves see how things progress. Just an idea, but probably not a vital one by any means.
    OverWatch likes this.
  6. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    Do you lose mana somehow? I swear I've lost mana.. but don't understand how... Losing pieces doesn't mean I lose mana does it? Pieces is related to xp...
  7. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    You do lose Mana yes :) but only when you create new warriors. If you're having some issues just let me know, I'll try to get someone to look into the issue for you as soon as.
  8. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    Does creating this try to beat me account mean i lose mana from my new to shuuro account? i could have sworn i couldn't use the forums with anything id done with creating newtoshuuro... Can you explain what makes me lose mana? I have lost 0 games for a while now. So if I'm playing games, winning, and losing mana... well that is frustrating.

haha, k so in the revamped shuuro site, no losing mana :p XP maybe goes up and down, but keep what mana you have, its hard enough to get as it is.. and if i need to defend all these locations I need mana to last... although at the moment with so few games i guess it won't hurt me until a little while down the road.

Also, one other suggestion, when deploying... don't make it a fixed deploy, like when i place my king.. wherever i put it, its now stuck. and sometimes i mean to deploy a knight, but then deploy one of my bishops and th en everything is screwed, so someway to move the pieces around, even when I've deployed them on the board, instead of it starting game automatically as soon as I've placed my last piece, make it that even with all my pieces on the board i can still move things around .

so have there be a "completed deployment" icon, to press when you are ready to begin game.
  9. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Your new forum account shouldn't effect your Shuuro account as they aren't linked, so don't worry about that! You lose mana when you create new warriors in the campaign, so if you're losing mana for any other reason this may be something I need to look into for you.

Thanks for more suggestions though you're really helping the team out in understanding what the community wants. We're hoping to improve Shuuro a lot and have done a lot of research behind the scenes to determine what will be good for every one... We'll keep you updated with any progress we make!
  10. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    I'll have to monitor it more closely. All i can say is that I just levelled up, and that level up gave me something like 320 in mana. And that should have pushed me very very close to 4000 if not over it, and now I only have 3850, and with being in a 800 with brendan egan I'm at 3050... so ill watch after i finish this game. depending even if i win, ill need another game to bring me over the next level up... so I can't give any thing concrete right now. But I swear I've been at 3600 ish mana in past, and so with the last 320 mana on level up... i should be at least 3920 but perhaps I was wrong. I will monitor it.

Sounds good, any plans administration leaves community members can also then give feedback to that.

I'm still liking the idea of fixed matches. I've never used a queen in 6 x 6 because i know there are some set ups that just destroy it. But if I knew my opponent was going to have a set up where my using a queen wasn't instantly dead it might be fun. Also in fixed matches, or even in some tutorial games of fixed placement, you can show people how to deploy knights and bishops in strong ways etc. Then they take that knowledge into games where they deploy themselves. So fixed match fixed deploy, and fixed match of pieces, but choose your own deploy.

The game has a lot of potential for sure. I noticed the thread on chess.com... you can always make new comments. I'm not sure if you are able to advertise on the site probably not.. but do something to grab some chess players attention from there lol.
  11. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:

Will definitely go and check chess.com out. I'm not particularly sure what there rules are on advertising as I've never visited the site before but! I'll double check just to be sure. Thanks
  12. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    Ok I need help, so I now have 3510! in Mana. I therefore lost equal mana to the value of pieces lost in my game.

In a game vs brendan egan I lost 10 pieces totalling 340 7 bishops, 1 knight, 2 pawns.

Went into the game with 3850, so it subtracted -340 giving me 3510 mana left.

I think this has happened in 3 consecutive games, because I was certain that my mana should be well over 4000 by this point.

So the only games I play right now are 800 point games, and those cost ... you will lose pieces. So if it continues as it is, I probably have maybe 10 games? Then I'm out of mana and can't defend. Estimating a loss of 300-400 mana per game. However if I lose, then I am down significantly more, a loss that doesn't provide xp to help replenish some mana means I probably have closer to 7-8 games left, I can't win all of them.

Help requested.
  13. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    Yes so I jus lost a game, now I'm down another 170 ... so Im at 2550 after a 800 point engagement.

Can I be reimbursed my mana up to 4500? ish

And... is this happening to others? I mean fair if it is.. then there is a system wide problem... but if it is just me, I'm losing quite a bit here for nothing. Brendan egan and I seem to get in a lot of games.

Edit: if this is also happening to player brendan egan... he i imagine is hurting for mana as well. I think I'm slightly up in wins. So he isn't getting the 800 xp to get him level ups like i was. Or as evenly. So... I suggest some sort of quick remedy or again this will hurt players ability to play at all.
  14. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    Yes, so I had 3510... then I just won a game that levelled me up, and got me bonus mana... after losing the game before that. So I went up 340 in mana, but then in the game I won, i lost 80-120 in men, so i didn't go up that much, anyways now it says 3610 is how much mana i have total, so 3510 - 170 i think for loss, then plus like 240 anyways. its slim pickings, i wonder whats happening with brendan egan. eventually one of us will run out of mana
  15. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Thanks for letting us know again, I've passed this a long to another member of our team. So please do continue to be patient we appreciate it a great deal and hopefully when we sort an update out for Shuuro it'll be to your liking. If you have any suggestions on how to overcome this then by all means let us know, we'll be doing some work to figure out the best way but could do with some pointers from users.
  16. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    Hmm, well I don't know how widespread it is. If it is possible to grant mana in the system freely somehow, I would do it. A broken system doesn't really help anyone. I would just instantly grant everyone 5000 mana until its fixed to not lose players. If a player can't play due to lack of mana, and the mana system is broken... just supply it manually if possible. I have no idea what kind of coding is involved or necessary to fix it, and I can't code so can't give much help on that side. Beyond this, I don't really know how long the problem has existed.. if its a recent problem or has always been this way. When I played 6 by 6 boards, I won almost all of them, except a few, and didn't generally lose to to much, don't remember my mana not being what I expected it to be.

If it is about a new system... for the update. Having the system where players can just challenge each other and be free of mana at least allows people to play, while the campaign mode gets fixed.

I just mean if the problem is universal, and say is a new problem, then someone joining right now... I forget how much mana I started with, but if you start with say 500, and lose 2-3 of your first games. How do you ever get out of that deficit? Even if you make your first level up, its not like you have thousands saved.
  17. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:

We wouldn't be able to just give mana away to players as it's not a bug within the game or anything like that, at the moment it is just how the game is and has been like that for quite a while now. We're working on getting an update out for the game as soon as we can however, because we know that there are changes that need to be made in the game.

At the moment the only things we have in place to help replenish mana is the mana you gain from leveling up and also the ability to purchase mana from the store. BUT with that being said we're open to new ideas and will be implementing some changes within Shuuro hopefully in the near future. We haven't got a specific date yet, but we'll be sure to keep our existing Shuuro players updated with what we're doing!
  18. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    I see. Well certainly fix the problem when you update shuuro. I.e. never allow someone to go negative mana. If you have a site where in order to play on the site, mana.. or any "site currency" is required making sure players don't run out and leave the site is fairly central. I mean, just with what me and Brendan Egan are doing, who is one of the more active players on the site I've seen, I know for a fact I should be well over 4000, with recent level up, at least 4500-5000. Keeping gains in mind, and taking out all the losses I've incurred. Since conquering the map, and levelling out at lets say 3950, I'm at 3610, and I seem to lose more than I gain now. I once leveled up every 1000 xp, now it is taking me 2500 xp or more etc. So I believe I still have enough xp / mana to last me a couple months, hopefully everything is fixed then.

Even if the shuuro update isn't an overall update, I would fix this problem, and release an updated shuuro where mana is fixed. Within a month is it possible? Thinking about it, I joined and it wasn't hurting me. But now that I'm higher up, and playing games 800 where you can lose 400 mana in a game, where as in 250 which you played more and couldn't lose over 250 for instance.. I mean I'm thinking I might have only a month - 2 months left to play on the site if that. I guess time will tell.

Beyond that in future updates I would just leave mana out of it. Since a more general site can just allow player to player challenges.

Another idea is introducing new features. I am not really well versed in Loka. Is that the one where you roll dice? Anyways, I'm not interested in that. But I see there are new terrain types? I don't own loka, and only rarely passed it somewhere on the net maybe... I see there is like a teleportation from one square to another square? I don't know if I'd like that.

But you could create additional terrain types. So Plinths are randomized squares decided pre game setup. You could create new terrain types that players can deploy in the first 2-3 rows with their pieces.

Also, as you are re-envisioning chess, mostly the board... why not re-envision some of the pieces? By this, I don't mean remove pieces. But add some. Particularly, I'm thinking of a few. This was already somewhat suggested in the past of chess, but I don't think took off. So naming pieces is a thing but I'll just describe what a few pieces could be:

Queen = Rook + Bishop, others have once thought up what if there were a piece that was Bishop + Knight, or Knight + Rook. And though never done anywhere else, Knight + Bishop + Rook? Since you have a war gaming style of choosing your army, You could create a value, I'm not sure precisely what they'd be. Say 100 for each of those. 130 for the KBR really not sure. But community could help decide this.

On top of this, what about an archer like unit? You deploy an archer, this archer moves in a manner to be determined. Perhaps moves like a king, but instead of 1 square in any direction, 2-3 squares in any direction. And when capturing can either move 1-2-3 squares in any direction, or just shoot and kill a target without taking its place. It's hard to know if this is a meaningful addition or not. But if the range were only 2, its stronger than a king, range of 2 shot, nothing could threaten it except long range unit, pawns would melt away if an archer could just get within 2 of it, and arrow it without taking the square. So to kill the archer, you'd have to rely more on bishops, rooks from long distances, or knights that can get in close.

Then you could do combos, like a normal archer on the battlefield has range of 2-3 whatever is decided. But put it on a plinth, and it gives it range of 3-4. 1 Additional square.

So in creating a game on a shuuro vs opponent, maybe have th eplayers decide : special pieces yes /no, special terrain yes / no. And then maybe just have a selection of normal shuuro.

Obviously I don't know what allessio is up to, I see river horse made shuuro? You could create expansions for shuuro. Could put shuuro back into print (or if it is in print fine) but then make expansion for it with those new units above. You can design the name, whole shape and such of the piece could be fun. If that was available in america I'd buy it, it was hard to find copy of shuuro though.

Anyways I'm rambling. But a chess version offering a bishop+knight in a single piece, or bishop+rook in a single piece... I think there are some, but it would certainly be an edge you could advertise to grab attention.
  19. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    Can you manually go in to mana costs? and change how much it costs to buy mana so that its very cheap? Canadian dollar is low. Even 5 bucks is almost doublish. Not saying its necessary, but its an option.
  20. try_to_beat_me Private

Message Count:
    lol I'm happy to be getting more games, but its just not economical at this point. So multiple 800 point games going. Um, if I lose like 200-400 ish mana at a time... we see we see. But this could become short lived for me. Soon I will go under 3000 mana?