Who Wants a Wiki?

Discussion in 'Bugs and Suggestions' started by I_Like_Cake, Feb 7, 2014.

1. I_Like_Cake Corporal

Message Count:
    I was thinking that it might be a nice community project to start building a wiki using something like www.wikia.com . It would be a great place to put up some tips and strategy's for beginners along with the typical unit and map break downs.

For example when I first started up I ignored some of the territory's immediately around the bunker (Circles to the left and right) and went straight for the ones below me. This was rather challenging because I was taking territory's that can be taken by other players. My friend later pointed out that the territory's in the circles where attacked much less often and usually had new units and power up for grabs. I had been struggling with out the extra power and units but once i took those territory's life became much easier. These are the type of things a Wiki would be useful for.

What do other people think?
    Ewan Lamont likes this.
  2. Southclaw Private

Message Count:
    This is a great idea! Would be a valuable resource for new players and it can be edited by anyone. Wikis get vandalised sometimes but you can set whether an editor requires an account or not, as well as rollback to any previous versions a page.

As for wiki software/services, wikia is a nice one that I've been using for a year now for another project. It's got a nice easy to use interface but lacking in a few small features. Others include Wikidot and MediaWiki (depends if this will be official or unofficial, and whether it's hosted or a free service)
  3. I_Like_Cake Corporal

Message Count:
    Now that people are interested I was wondering what address we should use. I've seen it used and refereed to as both Year 0 and Year Zero. Both are available on Wikia.com so perhaps Legendary would like to tell us if they have a preference?
  4. SteveGreen Private

Message Count:
    Well the sub-domain is "yearzero" for the actual game, it'd probably be better to keep that consistent.
  5. I_Like_Cake Corporal

Message Count:
    Sounds reasonable to me. All that's left to do now is choose a web site to use. As you've done some wiki stuff before Sauthclaw what would you suggest?
  6. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    Sounds like a great idea guys. We have registered Year0 (year then the number) as our trade mark for the game so despite some early coding decisions that would be best. Feel free to copy any imagery from the site. Jemma will start releasing the concept artwork for the units and some of the background story soon.

Include a disclaimer on the site that it is a fan page and has no claim on the IP or game assets and we are all rosey.
    Jemma likes this.
  7. Gareth Corporal

Message Count:
    This sounds like a great idea - I would be happy to try and help contribute. Really may be useful for learners of the game to have a resource to rely on when learning the ins and outs of the game.
  8. I_Like_Cake Corporal

Message Count:
    I've created the wiki on Wikia.com. I don't pretend to have ever done this before or have any idea what I'm doing so feel free to change it as you see fit.
    http://year0.wikia.com/wiki/Year_0_Wiki
  9. I_Like_Cake Corporal

Message Count:
    Hi people!!

I was wondering if anyone has any interest in designing a background for the Wiki. I myself have no artistic talent what so ever so anyone with skills would be much appreciated. If we get multiple submissions then we will vote on them here and if we just can’t choose then we can always rotate them on a weekly basis. You will be credited on the wiki and you’re welcome to sign it if you like. Below is a link to a page which tells you the information you will need to make the background. Take as long as you need and the Wiki will just look ugly in the meantime.

http://year0.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Background

On another note if anyone is interested in making a contribution then go ahead and do it!! The biggest contributors will be offered admin privileges (way better than a cash prize right!?).

http://year0.wikia.com/wiki/Year_0_Wiki

If anyone knows Html 5, CSS or has any experience in website design what so ever then your help would be greatly appreciated. We've somehow ended up with two "Help, I'm a n00b!!" pages and the navigation is a bit of a mess. I'll eventually get round to this myself because we're going to cover it in college soon but if anyone is ahead of the game then please put your Wikia user name down below because you'll need admin privileges to do this.
  10. Southclaw Private

Message Count:
    Wikia is a great choice, that's the one I've been using for a while now.
    I'll contribute to the site in the coming weeks, username there is 'Southclaw' :)

I think the first thing that should be done is organising what categories there should be then list the categories on the front page (I have some code for a nice grid of categories for the front page if you want)

I've noticed there are pages like Tactics and Strategies and game mechanics guides which should be separated from information on units/zones/etc. Perhaps a category named "Guides" could be used to contain all these pages.
  11. I_Like_Cake Corporal

Message Count:
    Sounds great. As you clearly know what your doing feel free to edit as you see fit. Ill add you to the admin group when I have a chance.
  12. recalledcookie Private

Message Count:
    just made an account i got some ideas on what to put on there will be doing so soon :3
    Jemma likes this.
  13. Southclaw Private

Message Count:
    I've added the categories grid to the front page (there are only two categories so far!) and no logos for the categories (so I used the Year 0 logo)

I haven't been playing the game much recently so I haven't had a chance to use every unit so I won't be much use with filling the pages with content but I can help organise the pages and make templates etc.